PDA

View Full Version : What is this PM Machine???

Carroll Courtney
01-23-2011, 6:29 PM
What is this Powermatic machine?It looks like a jointer but has two fences and a foot leaver for something.Thanks Carroll

Josh Rudolph
01-23-2011, 6:45 PM
Looks like it could be a moulder. The fence has a detent in it that appears to be shaped for something that rotates above the table. The foot pedal...??? Maybe use to open up the space between fences for stock removal?

Chip Lindley
01-23-2011, 7:32 PM
Carroll, I searched Powermatic photos and manuals over at OWWM with no success. But, I bet if you post your query over there on the Old Woodworking Machines forum, you will get a quick answer with all details. Now I am curious too!

Karl Brogger
01-23-2011, 7:52 PM
The foot pedal...??? Maybe use to open up the space between fences for stock removal?

My guess is a brake.

Bruce Page
01-23-2011, 8:14 PM
It looks like a big motor and a big chip chute for a machine it's size.
I haven't a clue what it is.

M Toupin
01-23-2011, 8:15 PM
Not sure exactly what it is, but I really doubt it's a production PM machine, never seen anything even close to it in a PM catalog. The base is PM, but the top appears to be some job specific machine, likely shop built. The color of the top piece appears to be off and it looks like the pivot point for the foot pedal has some weld burn on the paint. It looks like there's a protrusion on the fence, probably covering a cutter. Looks like stock is fed between the two fences on edge. The foot pedal appears to allow some movement to the closest fence which would allow some minor variation to stock thickness (or flatness).

If I had to guess just from the pic, I'd say maybe a panel raising setup???

Mike

Brian Myers
01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I would say that someone put this machine on a Powermatic jointer base esp. with the way the foot pedal is done and color mismatch. I agree with Mike that its most likely a panel raiser, its design would make sense. There is a Fay & Egan panel raiser on OWWM.com in the "other" category but bigger and different in design. Where did you find the pic?