PDA

View Full Version : Aggazani blade guides

David Warkentin
01-23-2011, 6:11 PM
Hi all. I have an Aggazani band saw. Can someone help me out with my guides? They are not bearings but some kind of a flat faced piece of round metal on a piece of rod. They do work. The problem is sometimes when the blade touches them, they throw some sparks. And I don't think that is a good idea with all that sawdust everywhere.:rolleyes: Hard to explain those guides, reckon a picture would be worth a thousand words! Anybody?

Neil Brooks
01-23-2011, 6:24 PM
The pic would surely help ME, anyway.

Depending on their shape and size ... you may be able to replace them with Olson Cool Blocks (http://www.olsonsaw.net/cb500.html).

You can run your blade touching Cool Blocks without the sparks (though I still set mine about a dollar bill's thickness away from the blade).

But ... I'm just taking a stab at it, without knowing your saw, your bearings, or how they mount.....

Jamie Buxton
01-23-2011, 6:26 PM
Those are standard Euro guides. The sparks are probably coming from the thrust bearing -- the disc at the rear. It is supposed to be able to rotate, but if the lube gets stiff it stops rotating. Then you just have steel rubbing on steel. You might try lubricating the axle where it goes through the sintered bronze bearing to see if you can get it to free up. If not, you might consider replacing the thrust bearing. I did that once, and it worked, but the replacement was expensive. I eventually replaced the thrust bearing with a homebrew ball bearing that actually rolls on the back of the blade.

Tom Cross
01-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I have Agazzani 20" bandsaw. The bearings on the guides are frozen or the guides are not adjusted correctly. I have never had sparks with the guides. The guides work great. There is no need for cool blocks.

Call Jesse at Eagle Tools in LA, 323-999-2909. He provides outstanding service for Agazzani bandsaws and will walk you through what to do.

I love my Agazzani. It is an incredible machine. I use it for all my rough ripping with 1" blade.

Don Bullock
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM

Call Jesse at Eagle Tools in LA, 323-999-2909. He provides outstanding service for Agazzani bandsaws and will walk you through what to do.

+1 for calling Jesse. Not only is he very knowledgable he's a very nice guy.

Van Huskey
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Are you sure the side guides are NOT bearings? Unless they are an older model that I am unfamiliar with they should be bearings and may just be seized. Don't sweat the sparks, ceramic guides like Laguna's throw them all the time. A non issue in that environment, BUT yours should not be doing that.