PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Metal gloat

johnny means
01-23-2011, 5:34 PM
I'm usually one of those that scoffs at ready made router tables and big $ lifts, I just never thought you gain a whole lot of functionality over shop made options. That's just my opinion and, of course, we know what they say about opinions. Anyway I must admit I did think that the cast iron router table top was something that would add significantly to a router table set up. So when I realized that my current top and inserts were degrading past an acceptable level of flatness, I made up my mind to purchase a CI top.

No sooner than I started shopping around, this baby pops up on Craigslist for $375. A brand spanking new Benchdog ProMax RT with the pro fence and Phenolic insert. Now when I say new, I mean still in the box wrapped in plastic and coated with grease new. I would have been ecstatic to buy it at that price. But I do enjoy haggling, so I figured, what the heck throw an offer at the seller and see what his counter offer is. Figured I might get another $10 or $15 knocked off. So I shot him an offer of $300. To my surprise the seller immediately accept it. Naturally, I made beeline to some town in New Jersey and picked that baby up.

Then on my way there I got a call from fellow Creeker who was selling an old shaper top that I was interested in. He was also in New Jersey, so I figured it made sense to drive a few extra miles and get that too. It was sort of a rush thing and the guy wanted $75, which I felt was a little high, but I was saving the hassle of looking for a second top.

BTW the Benchdog is beautifully made and I would have been happy paying full retail if I had to.

Mike Cruz
01-23-2011, 5:49 PM
Very nice! Great that you got to combine the two in one trip. Hope you got to spend some time with your fellow Creeker...

Neil Brooks
01-23-2011, 5:57 PM
Oh, that is SOOOoooo sweet.

Nice score. Great table !

You suck. Plain and simple ;)

Chip Lindley
01-23-2011, 7:14 PM
Johnny, that Benchdog is a NICE hunk of New Arn! Enjoy!

John Cavanaugh
01-23-2011, 7:15 PM
I have the Promax that attaches as a wing to your tablesaw, I love it. Im sure you will get a lot of use out of your find...