PDA

View Full Version : Help with unusual size lumber

Larry Burk
01-12-2005, 7:55 PM
I would like to do some artwork (a relief) in a large dimension size of lumber 28 inches wide by 2 1/2 inches thick and 43 inches long. The problem is I can't find anyone in Arizona that has a sawmill that will cut lumber to these dimensions.:( I realize I could laminate pieces but I think the artwork will look much better on one solid piece of lumber. Does anyone know of someone operating a band saw mill that large (28 inch minimum) in Arizona or somewhere else that can be shipped to me?

Jim Becker
01-12-2005, 8:33 PM
Larry, welcome to the Creek! I hope you'll visit and post often.

There was a thread earlier in the week that discussed sources for slabs and the like. My personal favorite for such things is Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com)in Oxford PA and they do ship.

Michael Ballent
01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Not sure where in Arizona you are located, but I would imagine that there has to be a sawmill located in norther Arizona, with all that Ponderosa Pine up there I imagine there has to be some logging. You could also talk to Woodworkers Source located in Phoenix and Tucson and they could find something for you. They do not have the facilities to mill something that large, but they could have a supplier that has something like that. One time I was there they had a 32" wide piece of monkey pod. Come to think of it I think I have seen some wide pieces at Rockler. but they were walnut crotches and about 36 long.

Tom LaRussa
01-13-2005, 12:35 PM
I would like to do some artwork (a relief) in a large dimension size of lumber 28 inches wide by 2 1/2 inches thick and 43 inches long. The problem is I can't find anyone in Arizona that has a sawmill that will cut lumber to these dimensions.:( I realize I could laminate pieces but I think the artwork will look much better on one solid piece of lumber. Does anyone know of someone operating a band saw mill that large (28 inch minimum) in Arizona or somewhere else that can be shipped to me?

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Creek! :)

Since you're going to be carving it anyway I assume that it does not have to come to you perfectly flat, right?

Seems to me what you need is not lumber, necessarily, but a big piece of log.

So, find somebody who has a chunk of log large enough to yield the size you need -- a tree service, or whatever -- and then head over to the Neander forum and we'll get you all fixed up. (I say we, but I really mean folks other than myself. :o )

Tom

P.S. / Edit

I forgot to mention...

If you really need lumber as opposed to a big hunk of wood for whatever reason, then check this thread for the URLs of several lumber suppliers who sell and ship really big hunks of wood. (Be prepared to pay through the nose though.)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15713&highlight=slab

Larry Burk
01-13-2005, 7:08 PM
:D Wow!! what a resource you guys are. I've been surfing the net the phone book and saw mill all over the state for two months trying to find answers that you guys gave me in a few hours. Thanks a million. I tried all the resourses you referred me to. I failed to mention that I want to do the project in Pine or other soft wood. So far all the referrals you have given me do not have anything in stock and they don't have any pine logs big enough to do the job.:( I would prefer lumber because it would be so much easier to finish the project. I really appreciate your help and if you had any other ideas I'm all ears.

Larry

Dino Makropoulos
01-13-2005, 7:31 PM

The only way to find a "Slab" with the above dimentions is to call the portable sawmill manufactures (like woodmizer)and ask them for a list of portable sawmill owners in your area with saw mill ( min.) capacity 30" wide.
Good luck.

Jim Becker
01-13-2005, 8:23 PM
Larry, it's not going to be easy to find a slab of that size in pine or another softwood. You may be able to source poplar that large, but certainly not local. It's a hardwood, but considered somewhat "soft" in comparison to many other species. And for stuff this size and thickness, you'll normally need to cut it to final dimensions yourself, although some sources do have equipment big enough to surface to that thickness for a fee and might also cut to the length and width for an additional fee. Not everyone will do that and you still pay for the whole thing with most suppliers.