PDA

View Full Version : Pyrography

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Well decided after watching a DVD by Brian McEvoy on embellishments to bite the bullet and get a woodburning outfit. I finally decided on the Optima 1 dual burner. I contacted several people that do woodburning and they all told me 3 to 5 pens is all that is needed to do any and all woodburning. Yes other pens would make things easier but they said they were not needed. I also went with the fixed pens as most all of them said they would hold up better and after being used a lot the joints of where you change pen tips do become weak after a while thus losing heat. I am posting a couple of pictures of the first test piece. It is not the best but didn't think to bad for the first burn. Added a little color at the urging of the LOML. It is going to take a while to get used to burning curves, etc. I still have 4 pens coming, a book on woodburning and a two DVD set to hopefully help with the learning curve. I have two HF's waiting for me to get comfortable enough to do some woodburning on them and hopefully many others.

John Keeton
01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Bernie, glad to see you getting into this! I hope to expand my skill set over time, but looks as though you are off to a good start. You will need to post some more of your practice runs so I will have some instructional material!

Richard Madden
01-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Bernie,
Your first test piece looks good. Please keep us posted of your progress. I still have not decided whether to buy or build a burning unit, so let us know how you like the Optima.

Pete Jordan
01-23-2011, 1:13 PM
Congrats Bernie!

That is the one I have.

charlie knighton
01-23-2011, 1:25 PM
Molly Winton (http://tnwoodturners.org/symposium/#molly). will be at Tennessee Woodturning Symposium next friday and saturday, Bernie

nice set up Bernie

Steve Vaughan
01-23-2011, 1:50 PM
Bernie, I sure enjoy mine and have used it a couple of times on turnings, just simple stuff. And, dang it, sure wish I was closer to Tennessee. She had a cover on the Packard catalog and that is what inspired me to try woodburning on my woodturning. She does really great stuff. I've bought extra wire off Amazon to make my own tips to attempt some basket weave similar to Molly's work. Ain't got around to doing that yet, but at some point I will. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine with it and it will become yet another embellishment to consider on your turnings.

Roger Chandler
01-23-2011, 2:27 PM
Bernie.........that is nice! Raising the bar again, I see ;) so we are all looking forward to the new "Art" that you produce with this contraption..............You know.........you are just deepening the vortex a little more! :eek:;):D:D

Seriously, congratulations.......looking forward to your newest pieces being posted.

Mark Hubl
01-23-2011, 2:45 PM
Have fun Bernie. Pyro is fun. You really can accomplish a lot with just a few tips. If you are going to be doing a lot of branding I would recommend making your own hand piece. It is pretty easy to do and they stay a whole bunch cooler. Can't wait to see where your imagination brings you.

Cathy Schaewe
01-23-2011, 4:37 PM
That's impressive for just starting out.
I saw Molly Winton was going to be at the Tennessee symposium - but it's a 13 hour drive. Oh well.

Thom Sturgill
01-23-2011, 5:13 PM
Bernie, I have single burner unit. the pens heat up fast, and so I do not see the need for having two plugged in at once. I have three pens, also fixed for the same reasons you mentioned. I have the small rounded skew, the smallest ball, and a shader. I may buy a larger ball and the writing tip, but do not see the need for much else unless I wanted to do bead work and get the scale tip that JK showed.
I had experience with pen and ink and that translates somewhat, but I want to get a book and dvd myself. What did you buy?

Mike Peace
01-23-2011, 5:55 PM
Same unit I have, Bernie. I like it. I have not progressed much passed burning my name & wood species on bottoms but burning defintely classier than an archival pen, I think.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2011, 6:01 PM
Bernie - looks like a nice little system! You'll have to give us an update on how you like it - after you have worked with it a little!

Michael James
01-23-2011, 6:05 PM
That's impressive for just starting out.
I saw Molly Winton was going to be at the Tennessee symposium - but it's a 13 hour drive. Oh well.
Cathy, I think you should just buy a RT plane ticket, right after you order that Monster rig! It might ease the spending/buyer's remorse. :eek::D:cool:

Congrats Bernie. Looks like you're off to a good start. I'll be watching for tips, so plz post as you go!
mj

Greg Just
01-23-2011, 6:11 PM
Looks nice Bernie. This opens a whole new world to embellishing your turnings. I recently received the Burnmaster and have only experimented with a couple of items. I took a class this past summer on decorative boxes and this was demonstrated. With some Nichrome wire you can make your own tips.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2011, 8:18 PM
Thanks to all. I will surely let everyone know how the unit operates. I cut a lot of little practice pieces of wood.

Thom I did buy a writing tip, the medium ball, a pointed bent shader, a round shader, a rounded skew, and a straight medium skew. The three woodburners that I e-mailed said that would be all I needed to do everything I want. Thom I got Basic Woodburning by Sue Waters for $12.95 and the 2 DVD set Pyrography Workshop by Sue Walters From Greg Dorrance. On Sue Walters website she calls it Study of a Hawk - 2 disc DVD set. Not a bad price for $24.95. Note these are two different Sue's.

Charlie I would really like to meet and see a demo of Molly's. She was quite helpful when I e-mailed her.

Harry Robinette
01-23-2011, 9:38 PM
Bernie
That looks really good.the wood your using is rather hard to burn on so once you get done on that and go to some smooth real wood your see a HUGE difference.
I saw Molly in Cinnci and made one of her ball type handles for stamping and there nice.Keep up with it your first one looks better the my AHHHH about 20th.
Harry

Baxter Smith
01-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Congrats. Looking forward to seeing what you produce.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2011, 9:41 AM
Thanks Harry and Baxter. Harry that was soft maple and I didn't sand it much. Going to try a practice piece that I will go thru the sanding grits first then give it a go.