PDA

View Full Version : Table Top Help

Victor Stearns
01-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Greetings to Creekers,
I have a kitchen table that I built back in 1979 as my high school shop project. The legs and apron are of walnut. At the time we were not allowed to construct solid table tops in the class. (Been a few years so the memory is fuzzy of why not.) So the top is constructed using plywood and then covered with a dark walnut Formica laminate surface with solid walnut edging. Fast forward to today. The bonding on the top has started to release the laminate. Hence there are several places where you can lift the laminate away from the ply. (I do recall we used contact cement to attach the top.) Rather than try to re-glue the top, I want to replace the laminate.
Here is the issue. I cannot locate a laminate that is even close to the dark walnut that I currently have. So does anyone have a source for a dark walnut laminate?
Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks,
Victor

NICK BARBOZA
01-24-2011, 8:30 AM
I do not have a source for your laminate but i will offer up a different idea. I'm sure you've thought of this, but why not build a completely new top? I do understand you may be attached to the original piece, but in my opinion, i would think you time/money might be better spent either building a solid wood top or walnut veneer plywood top with solid edging. I think that since this table has had over 30 years of good use, a new top would be a nice upgrade from the prior laminate.

NWB

Joseph D'Orazio
01-24-2011, 9:11 AM
Wow, it lasted a long time though. I too would build a new top but you may be attached (no pun) to it. I dont know the solution but I am interested in veneer and I hope you do a build journal so that we can see the process when you do decide on what you are going to do.

Frank Drew
01-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Victor,

Echoing Nick and Joseph, here's an ideal opportunity to make a really nice top for your kitchen table. As I understand it, there's plenty of walnut available in the Midwest.

Howard Acheson
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
>>>> I cannot locate a laminate that is even close to the dark walnut that I currently have.

That's surpising. Formica use to make probably 30 - 40 different imitation wood laminates and you must be able to find a walnut that comes close to what you used. Go to a real lumber yard or hardware store the carries Formica or WilsonArt plastic laminate. They should be able to order a sheet for you.

Peter Quinn
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Go to the wilsonart site, type in walnut, they have several choices. You can order wilsonart laminates from most home depot locations and many other home centers. I'm no advocate of laminates, but they are durable. My mil has a 40 yr old red oak dining table with a laminate top in good order but a frame that needs help.she has hinted she wants me to make a new table, but frankly I'm busy, so I told her they don't make formica in wood grain any more, but she loves it, so please don't tell her where to find it!

Matt Day
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Could you use real wood veneer instead this time?