PDA

View Full Version : First Coring with the McNaughton (not so stealthy gloat)

bob svoboda
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
179388Finally got the nerve to try it. I have watched Mike Mahoney's and Reed Gray's videos multiple times and, in the end went predominately with Reed's methods. Not a nested set by any means, but no funnels and three pieces out of a 10.5" piece of English Walnut. Was a bit nerve wracking--I am hopeful that will improve with practice.

Steve Vaughan
01-23-2011, 1:52 PM
Looks good to me. I've got that set but haven't used it too much, maybe 3 or 4 times. I can say it is getting easier to deal with though.

Reed Gray
01-23-2011, 2:43 PM
Bob,

I got your PM, and after looking at the swirls in the big bowl, that is from your bowl walls flexing. Kind of like on spindles, when you get that swirl going, you have to come back to the top, try to get a flat spot to start from, and take very light cuts. I prefer a scraper at a shear angle, 45 degrees or higher, left hand to steady, very light pull (from inside to rim) cuts. Takes 4 or 5 passes to remove marks. Take off the high spots, and work your way down to smooth. Do round over bowl rims first, a sharp edge will crack quicker than a round one, and a square edge is a razor saw, and can do a quick job of cutting you. Wrap the rim in stretch plastic film. Start drying on the floor for a couple of days, then up on a wire shelf. Dry in about 10 days.

Great first efforts.

robo hippy

Fred Perreault
01-23-2011, 3:00 PM
Bob,
You should be tickled pink with the results, they look great. It is very much a tool that takes practice, feel and an awareness of all that is happening. I feel very gratified when I can take more than 1 core out of a blank. I have not taken more than 2 cores from the starter bowl, but they are coming easier. I have some feathered crotch wood I am chafing to use.
Good luck,

Reed Gray
01-23-2011, 4:21 PM
Fred,
With crotch wood, when you core, you need to cut it all the way off, not down to a small tenon and break it off. The wood fibers are running more vertical, and you can rip right through the bottom of the bowl. Been there, done that more than once. You do need to learn to feel when the tip is below center, and to cut it all the way off, you will most likely have to raise the tool rest a bit. If you ever try to cut off the stub of a tenon that is left when the core pops out, you can see what I mean.

robo hippy

Ray Bell
01-23-2011, 5:10 PM
Great job Bob. Are you saying you got the three blanks from a piece 10.5" deep? Not only gives you a little more play material, you saved a whole lot of floor sweeping.

Fred Perreault
01-23-2011, 5:37 PM
Reed, thanks for the tip about figured wood. I have a keen sense of feel, and one can hear and sense when getting towards the center. I have watched some videos, and I try very hard to avoid snapping the core out too vigorously, as there can be a good size tear in the bottom. I also try to avoid having the core spin off and across the shop. It is certainly a fine line.

Dan Kralemann
01-23-2011, 5:50 PM
Bob,

I can't find a video for the Reed Gray bowl coring video. Will you give the information to locate it. Also, will you show a full picture of your vacuum setup. Thanks, Dan

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2011, 5:57 PM
Congrats on your coring system! Looks like you have things figured out pretty good!

philip labre
01-23-2011, 7:21 PM
Looks good Bob! Can I ask you what the height of your spacer is?

Harry Robinette
01-23-2011, 8:42 PM
Bob
Looks good to me,I bought the small set to practice with and I made a laser and still make mistakes.So your looking good.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2011, 8:54 PM
Looks pretty good Bob.

bob svoboda
01-24-2011, 8:51 AM
Bob,

I can't find a video for the Reed Gray bowl coring video. Will you give the information to locate it. Also, will you show a full picture of your vacuum setup. Thanks, Dan
Dan-you can send Reed a PM on this site and I'm sure he will be glad to set you up
Also-check for my post headed "Finally" on 5/31/10 for a pic of my vacuum chuck setup.

bob svoboda
01-24-2011, 8:57 AM

I'll measure tonight when I get to the shop. It's set up so the tip of the tool is maybe 1/16" above center.

bob svoboda
01-24-2011, 8:59 AM
Great job Bob. Are you saying you got the three blanks from a piece 10.5" deep? Not only gives you a little more play material, you saved a whole lot of floor sweeping.
Thanks Ray. Yes, the blank was 10.5" diameter and about the same depth(I didn't actually measure depth

Kyle Iwamoto
01-24-2011, 3:02 PM
Wow, first coring and you got 3? I still get only 2.......:o

bob svoboda
01-25-2011, 1:56 PM
Philip. The spacer is 2 1/16 on my 3520b

philip labre
01-25-2011, 4:06 PM
Philip. The spacer is 2 1/16 on my 3520b
Thanks Bob!! I broke down and hauled in some blanks to thaw this afternoon and I'll give it another shot in the morning. Thanks again.