PDA

View Full Version : Getting the purple back into purpleheart

Don Meyer
01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I went down to the WoodCraft store when they had their turning blanks on sale and picked up a bunch of their 3x5x5 blanks to cut up into bottle stopper blanks. The outside of the blanks were purple but after turning the blanks to stopper size the inside was brownish. Is there any way to bring back the purple color?

bob svoboda
01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Light and/or heat should bring the purple back.

Jim Burr
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
There sure is Don. The purple is a photochemical reaction with the tannins in the wood...or, the result of oxidation. Depending on your climate, I put it in the sun for several hours. Low heat in an oven has, I've been told, also worked.

Scott Hubl
01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I forget who it is here that makes a bunch of calls, turkey, deer that kind.

I saw they posted a Purpleheart one that he said was Flamed and Ebonized I believe it was.

It was/is a Deep Dark Rich Purple, looked awsome, hopefully they will chime in here and explain the technique. I LOVE Purple and would turn it more if I could get and Keep that color in it.

I just bought 6 stopper blanks at woodcraft that were in the .50 cent bin for unknown pen blanks, I want to turn a Purpleheart scratch awl.

Found the Thread here> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?154178-flamed-purpleheart-duck-call

Ken Hill
01-23-2011, 1:07 PM
That would be Aaron Wingert. I can imagine that call looks insane in person!

Scott Hubl
01-23-2011, 1:11 PM
Yes I bet it does.

Hopefully he will share how he achieved that color, i'd love to try it on the scratch awl kit I got.

I posted the link to it.

Brian Kent
01-23-2011, 1:17 PM
Light will bring fresh surfaces back to purple, then over time will change it to a deep brown. Then you can just be satisfied with the deep brown or re-sand the surface to repeat the cycle.

Mike Hollingsworth
01-23-2011, 1:53 PM
You will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.

Thom Sturgill
01-23-2011, 5:17 PM
I thomk Mike's got it right. I just turned a purpleheart bowl last weekend and noticed thye wood seemed quite brown when fresh cut. I put an oil and wax finish on it and it was nice and purple the next day and brighter the day after that. The sanding dust in my lathe area is georgeous....