PDA

View Full Version : bushings for Norton 3X Wheel

Dan Cannon
01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi all,
I finally got a wolverine system for my tools! I also bought a Norton wheel to replace the stock wheel, but can't seem to get it to run true. I thought I remembered a thread about replacing the plastic bushings with steel, but couldn't find the thread with the search function. Does anyone know of a source for good replacement bushings?
Thanks!
Dan

Mike Stephens
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Dan here you go. (http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-bushings-and-liners/=apt6zz) Good luck.

Mark Hubl
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Here is one Dan. The source most sight is McMaster & Carr. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153969-Oneway-wheel-balancing-system&highlight=mcmaster

Dan Cannon
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks to both of you...hopefully this works. Thanks again!

Jon Nuckles
01-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Dan,

If the bushings don't solve the problem, you might need to dress the wheel until it is round. I bought a 3X wheel and it was way out of round.

Michael James
01-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi all,
I finally got a wolverine system for my tools! I also bought a Norton wheel to replace the stock wheel, but can't seem to get it to run true. I thought I remembered a thread about replacing the plastic bushings with steel, but couldn't find the thread with the search function. Does anyone know of a source for good replacement bushings?
Thanks!
Dan
That bushing will allow it to run true. Then you have to true it. There's another thread currently about Don Geiger's truing gadget. There are others, but Don's does the job quickly and efficiently.

George Clark
01-24-2011, 1:05 AM
I had trouble with side to side wobble. Don Geiger posted a brief tutorial that suggested trial and error with paper shims to take the wobble out. Small Avery labels or notebook hole repairs work well for shims. It only took 2 or 3 tries and made a big difference. I was able to eliminate virtually all wobble.

Dan Cannon
01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't mean to drag this thread back to the top again, but wanted to thank you guys for your help again. The new bushing worked wonders, got to where I can actually use the wheel, but I think I'm still going to look into the balancing system in the future to (hopefully) cut down on vibration, and maybe even a Geiger-type truing tool the next time I need to true it up. As it stands, my tools have never been sharper!
Thanks again,
Dan

Jon Nuckles
01-26-2011, 3:46 PM
Dan,

You may want to check the wheel for true before investing in a balancing system. I bought the Oneway balancer when I bought my 3X wheel, but I found that the vibration was coming from the 3X being out of round. I didn't have to shim the sides to get it to run true, but I did have to spend some time with my wheel dresser to take down the high spots. I am sure the Geiger tool works great, as I have read a lot of praise for it, but I just used my T-style dresser. By the way, the Oneway balancing system uses its own bushings, which has a flange that holds the weights for balancing, so you'd have to take off your brand new bushings!

Good luck!

Dan Cannon
01-26-2011, 4:03 PM
Thanks Jon, I'll definitely keep that in mind, maybe I don't need it after all. I did end up having to true it with the diamond T dresser to get it to be usable. I could barely keep the grinder stationary before that, it was so out of round. At this point, there is very slight side to side wobble if I really look for it, but I think it's pretty close to round. The tools don't seem to hit any high spots, even with a VERY gentle touch. Good to know though...Thanks.