PDA

View Full Version : Freud - Bosch - Craftsman router bits?

Rich Engelhardt
01-23-2011, 8:27 AM
Sears is closing their Hardware/Appliance Outlet store just down the road from me.
They have everything marked down 30%.
I haven't been in there to see what's left - if anything.

One thing I do know I need are some decent router bits in 1/2" shank.

I don't remember exactly what brands the store carried, other than Craftsman, so I looked online and see that Sears carries Bosch and Freud also.

Anyone used the Craftsman bits?
How do they stack up against better ones?
Are they so far beneath, say Eagle America that it's a waste of $$ ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never mind.. I just got back from there and the sale isn't all that great.
Everything is 10% off.
Only a select few items are marked down 30%.
Even w/the sale prices most of what's on the shelf is higher than Lowes, HD or Amazon.

Dave Gaul
01-23-2011, 8:16 PM
I've never used any craftsman bits, but I have used Harbor Freight/Lifetime Carbide bits, and they weren't too bad, so at 30% off, the Cm's should be better than HF's, and the Cm's are probably made by someone else decent anyway...

I say go buy a round over bit or something and see if you like it or not, then go buy more if you do!

glenn bradley
01-23-2011, 9:30 PM
I have some C-man bits because they were on clearance; $5 for a set of 10. 1/4" shaft so I thought for $5 I could use them in my Colt now and again. Pretty crummy. I hardly use them at all and I have already run two of them to the point of being unusable. I may have gotten 30 lineal feet out of them before the cut quality went south. Oh well, I kept the bearings so I got my moneys worth.

My local Sears clearanced all their Freud bits for what ever reason. $20 to $50 bits for $5 to $15. I bought a few that I usually use plus all the solid carbide spirals. After I got home I thought to myself "what was I thinking" I went back and bought almost every one they had left.

Whiteside is my first choice with Freud a close (if not identical) second. I do buy off brand or store brand bits when they are too cheap to pass up. Once they fail I just toss them without regret. I do not use the lessor brands on important pieces; the risk to my time and material is too high. They are great for "beaters: though ;-)

Mike Barney Sr
01-24-2011, 4:57 AM
I have used some cheaper bits like Eagle and CMT and was not impressed at all. First few cuts were just ok but the edge (what there was of it) didn't last. I gauge a the cut by how much sanding is required. Years back when I had a woodworking business I bought Bosch bits exclusively. They used a very fine grain carbide and ground the edges with a very fine diamond wheel. The surface was nearly glass smooth. They lasted a very long time. I couldn't find any sharpening shop to sharpen my bits as well as new so I just bought new ones. The time saved in sanding was worth it and more than offset the cost of new bits. But, alas, Bosch doesn't sharpen their bits like that anymore. While still an outstanding bit, other brands like Freud compare now. I do woodworking only for my own enjoyment now but I still wouldn't buy the lesser quality bits. I still want a bit with a fine grain carbide which holds a fine edge for a longer time. It just makes the quality of your work so much more.

scott spencer
01-24-2011, 7:30 AM
I have used some cheaper bits like Eagle and CMT and was not impressed at all. First few cuts were just ok but the edge (what there was of it) didn't last. I gauge a the cut by how much sanding is required. Years back when I had a woodworking business I bought Bosch bits exclusively. They used a very fine grain carbide and ground the edges with a very fine diamond wheel. The surface was nearly glass smooth. They lasted a very long time. I couldn't find any sharpening shop to sharpen my bits as well as new so I just bought new ones. The time saved in sanding was worth it and more than offset the cost of new bits. But, alas, Bosch doesn't sharpen their bits like that anymore. While still an outstanding bit, other brands like Freud compare now. I do woodworking only for my own enjoyment now but I still wouldn't buy the lesser quality bits. I still want a bit with a fine grain carbide which holds a fine edge for a longer time. It just makes the quality of your work so much more.

Eagle America and CMT bits are both considered premium bits, not cheap bits. Most of the Eagle America bits are made in the US in the same factory that makes the Whiteside bits...both of which have been top rated by FWW Mag.

Mike Barney Sr
01-24-2011, 9:27 AM
Eagle America and CMT bits are both considered premium bits, not cheap bits. Most of the Eagle America bits are made in the US in the same factory that makes the Whiteside bits...both of which have been top rated by FWW Mag.

I will admit it has been several years since I last used any, but I still stick with what I know instead of taking chances. I have worked as maintenance in several factories that produce oem parts for various manufacturers. Each customer specifies their own level of quality required or that they will pay for. I would bet that the factory producing router bits uses different grades of carbide for each of its customers. I just feel that when it comes to an individual's craft it is best to stick with what you trust.

Jay Jeffery
01-24-2011, 6:15 PM
I bought a few sets of black painted Craftsman router bits when I first got my router first router a few years ago. They were on sale and I didn't know any better. The best word I can think to describe them is variable. A couple of them have been really good bits that have given good results and held up pretty well (1/8" roundover and an Ogee bit). Most have been okay but not held up long (most of the straight bits). A few have been worthless and left a really ragged edge (1/2" radius cove, 3/8" roundover). I regret buying all but the ogee bit which cost me about $3 and was individually boxed.

They have the gold painted "professional" line that appear to be better made and are mostly 1/2" shaft. You might check the country of orgin on those. If they say Italy on them, I'd bet they are rebranded Freud Avanti. The 5 pice introductory set appears to be a rebox of the equivalent bits from Freud. That's speculation of course: I don't have any insider information.

Be patient and if they get down to $2 or less per bit, then it might be worth considering. If you expect to route things like MDF, it's nice having some beater bits around.