PDA

View Full Version : Martha Stewart woodworking episode

John Grossi
01-23-2011, 5:08 AM
Lucky for me my wife records all Martha Stewart shows. A blurb in our local paper put me on to Friday's woodworking show. It was exceptional. I think you can go to her website and watch it. Anything on tv that helps promote our hobby sits well with me and she spent an entire hour on it. A couple of "Fine Woodworking" execs were there. An actor from "Parks and Recreation" who makes boat paddles did a demonstration. A bowlmaker with his lathe did a demo. Martha's brother is an exceptional craftsman, showing a highboy, a bowl and a rocker he built. Her brother attended a week long class in Georgia on learning to build that rocker. The guy who runs the school was also on. Too bad Norm didn't do a walk thru. Very nice.

Greg Just
01-23-2011, 9:28 AM
Has anyone figured out how to watch the show online? All I can find is a 14 second introduction.

Michael Gaynes
01-24-2011, 1:50 AM
While you're waiting you can watch the old segment she did on Lie-Nielsen:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/lie-nielsen-toolworks

Dan Barber1
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I saw part of this myself when my wife called me in when it came on. The The woodworking school guy was Charles Brock who they called Chuck and it was his school that MS's brother attended. One point though. The school provides all the parts of the Maloof rocker already cut and about all that's left is the forming, shaping and assembly which apparently is done at the school. Not to diminish MS's brothers accomplishment but it appears that he didn't do all the work on the rocker. Still an interesting show.

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2011, 1:00 PM
Has anyone figured out how to watch the show online? All I can find is a 14 second introduction.

http://www.marthastewart.com/show/the-martha-stewart-show/the-woodworking-show

There are also the other two segments on this page, just click on the little tile to the right that shows the three different wood working segments........Rod.

Van Huskey
01-24-2011, 1:43 PM
I saw part of this myself when my wife called me in when it came on. The The woodworking school guy was Charles Brock who they called Chuck and it was his school that MS's brother attended. One point though. The school provides all the parts of the Maloof rocker already cut and about all that's left is the forming, shaping and assembly which apparently is done at the school. Not to diminish MS's brothers accomplishment but it appears that he didn't do all the work on the rocker. Still an interesting show.

Highland sells these CB kits also. A friend (who is a Maloof rocker wizard) and I had a discussion about these kits and how it effects the process. He feels it is a 50/50 thing. He did point out for someone like me it would be more like 90/10. He knows my abilities well enough to know the roughing and joinery wouldn't be an issue with me, however he also knows my ability to shape wood with rasps and other tools that don't plug in and don't have templates etc is extremely weak. His point was I would get 90% of what I need to be able to build "Maloof" rockers/chairs from the class but someone that was more of a carver and shaper might be lost if after the class they tried to go it alone.

What I got out of this conversation was if I ever get around to ticking this box on my bucket list I will probably do it from scratch. Knowing that I will probably muck up the shaping, I will still be able to take solace in the fact (hopefully a fact) that the rocker doesn't collapse when sat upon, even if the seat feels like a torture device due to my shaping skills!

Nice to see WWing on TV in pretty much any capacity, but missed the MS show.

Larry Edgerton
01-24-2011, 5:58 PM
Seriously, and I don't care if it has anthing to do with woodworking or not, if you are watching Martha Stewart, you are losing some man points.......

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2011, 6:22 PM
Seriously, and I don't care if it has anthing to do with woodworking or not, if you are watching Martha Stewart, you are losing some man points.......

Larry, you say that like it's a bad thing..............Rod.