PDA

View Full Version : Questions about used PC 7518, help/opinions needed!

Matt Gillam
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Ok, I'm new to this site, and pretty new to the WW world. I have a table saw, and the "normal" tools(i.e. cordless drill, corded drill, miter saw, etc.) for "construction" type work, and am wanting to get into the more finish type work for hobby(boxes, shelving units, possibly cabinets, etc.) Anyway, I have a question about used tools.

I'm looking at getting a Porter Cable 7518 to mount in an Incra Mast-R-Lift II, and was considering used(posting a WTB in the classifieds). First of all, mounted stationary and permanantly in a table, would run-out really matter as long as it's consistent? I hear those a built like tanks, so would used be "OK" to purchase typically for something like that? I've always gotten new tools for a little fear of not knowing what your getting, but am considering trying it with this router and don't want to get burned(yes, pun slightly intended:)). Finally, what would a descent price for one be? I've seen alot around the $200 mark, should that be shipped? They are about $300 new, so I'm looking mostly for advice and help.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Jerome Stanek
01-23-2011, 7:49 AM
I have 3 of those routers 1 is mounted in my router table 1 is mounted on a CNC machine and 1 is hand held. 2 were used when I got them and I had to replace the bearings in 1 of them. I did the replacement myself and it was very easy you just need a impact wrench to spin the nut off. I would buy another used one. Also you can get better collets for it at think and tinker.