PDA

View Full Version : Inlay Kit too Tall for Rockler Templates

Steve H Graham
01-22-2011, 9:58 PM
I got a set of Rockler routing templates. Problem: they're so thin, the bushing on my Whiteside inlay kit rubs the wood below them when I mount them with double-sided tape. I don't know why Rockler used such thin acrylic, since 1/4" works perfectly with the Whiteside kit.

Am I the only person who has had this problem? If so, what's the answer? I'm considering grinding the bushing and spacer down. As long as I have 3/16" or so in height, it's going to work with templates.

Bill Huber
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Couldn't you just glue some strips of wood on the under side of the template to make it high enough. I would sure hate to grind down the bushing, that is a really nice little bushing.

I guess if it was me I would junk the template and get some different ones, I would call Rockler first and see if they would take them back.

Bob Vallaster
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree with Bill about not wanting to permanently modify a premium tool or accessory.

The Milescraft plastic bushings recently clearanced at Lowe's are particularly easy to modify ...assuming you have their base.
Or look for a cheap metal set (maybe Harbor Freight?) in the universal (Porter-Cable) format and modify them as needed.
Whether your bushing is steel, brass or plastic...you can reduce its projection by sanding/filing it to a height just under the template's thickness. Gripping it and keeping it somewhat square will be a bit of a chore, but I've done it several times.

BobV

Steve H Graham
01-23-2011, 7:23 PM
I wouldn't be too upset about screwing up the bushing and spacer. The whole kit is $40, and about $15 of that is the router bit.

You can duplicate the templates in thicker acrylic with a flush-cut bit, but then you lose the nice center lines Rockler molded into the templates. You could cobble up some kind of wooden shims under the templates, but they would probably obscure the centerlines, and there might be situations where they would not work.

I just don't understand why Rockler makes them so thin. They know people use this inlay kit. Maybe it has something to do with the special inlay outfit they sell. As I understand it, the templates work on their own, but they are made to be part of a bigger product Rockler sells. Maybe that product holds the templates up off the work.

I'm confused by deep bushings GENERALLY. I bought a Ridgid kit, and most of the bushings are very deep. You only need about 3/16" to hold a bushing against a template or straightedge, so why make a bushing 5/8" deep? I'm sure someone here can tell me the reason.

I find the Ridgid kit very useful for wasting cavities prior to using flush-cut bits, but I'm fed up with the super-deep bushings, which make the job much harder.