PDA

View Full Version : On the horns of a dilemma -- Battery Powered Drill Driver

John M Wilson
01-22-2011, 8:41 PM
Well, I'm hoping that some of you folks with more common sense can help me...

I've had a Dewalt 12v drill (DW980) for many, many years, and it's been terrific. But, I'm at the point where even my umpteenth set of replacement batteries are about to give up, and I figured "Why invest in buying/rebuilding new batteries on that old drill; why not spend the money on some new technology?" So I got the Bosch 12(10.8)v combo pack with the drill (PS20) and the impact (PS40), charger, etc. And I love those too!

So what's the dilemma? I keep reaching for the Dewalt when I need higher speed (Kreg drill) or a real chuck vs the hex chuck on the Bosch. But, my batteries are still dying, so I find myself back evaluating whether I should spend the $ on rebuilding the batteries, or whether I should put that money toward something like a Bosch PS31, which has a real chuck and hits 1300 rpm, or make the jump to 18v, with something like the Bosch 36618, which hits 1600 rpm and has double the torque.

So it breaks down to: a) spend $0 and love what I have; b) spend $60+ on two rebuilt 12v nicad batteries for the Dewalt; c) spend $90+ on two rebuilt lithium batteries for the Dewalt; d) spend $130 on the Bosch PS31; or e) spend $160 on the Bosch 36618.

Or, maybe there are other alternatives that I am overlooking... :confused:

Any help or words of sanity?

Bruce King
01-22-2011, 9:20 PM
About the time you get new batteries, your charger could quit working or the drill itself.

I was in a similar situation and ended up buying two Porter Cable 18V drills, this way I have 2 drills, 4 batteries and two chargers all for about $210

Scott Vigder
01-22-2011, 9:28 PM
I have the Milwaukee 28V LiOn drill/circular saw/impact driver set. It is powerful, recharges quickly, and the charge lasts a long time. After 2 1/2 years one of the batteries died so I got a new one. The replacements battery doesn't seem to last as long as the original (and is expensive at $100).

Clark Harbaugh
01-22-2011, 9:31 PM
I had the same decision to make with my 14.4v Dewalt that I had replaced the batteries 4 times on. When the last set finally went out, I actually did the math and just sprang for the 18v Li Ion Dewalt and absolutely love it. The Li Ion batteries charge faster, can be charged/discharged many times more than standard NiCd, and , unlike the NiCd batteries, they have almost no self discharge. You can leave the battery charged and sitting on the shelf, and it doesn't discharge itself. One other thing I learned is that, at least on the 18v Dewalts, the Li Ion batteries are backward compatible with all of their drills built since the late 90's. So, you may be able to pick up a couple of batteries and a charger for less than a new drill.

David Prince
01-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Why are so many people against a corded drill? I have cordless drills / drivers for convenience when I'm not near electricity or need to just do something quick, but in the shop I have cords and outlets and can drill / drive all day long without having to worry about batteries.

You can buy a great corded drill for the price of a cordless and it will outlast that cordless easily.

glenn bradley
01-22-2011, 10:05 PM
For pocket holes you need about 2500rpm for a nice clean hole. A corded drill at about the cost of a new battery will get you that. As to 3/8" chucked cordless units, I got the small Ridgid units back when they were 2 for 1. They have actually turned out to be a couple little workhorses. The LSA came in handy when the batteries started to go. Did the whole thing by mail in a couple weeks; new batteries ;-) The current offering is one drill motor and a flashlight (who uses those flashlights anyway?).

Scott Vigder
01-23-2011, 10:21 AM
+1 to David Prince. Corded drills are the way to go, especially for pocket screws

John M Wilson
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
A corded drill at about the cost of a new battery will get you that.

So I guess I have another alternative: g) Buy a cheap corded drill.

Or maybe f) Buy a more expensive corded drill, like a Milwaukee Holeshooter...

Do the choices ever end? :confused:

Steve LaFara
01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Agree with the others regarding a corded drill for a Kreg jig. I have an old Dewalt with a keyless chuck that was my Dads that will break your wrist if not carefull. Huge amount of torque! Looks like this one that happens to be on fleabay that you could probably pick up for the cost of shipping. Nobody bids on corded drill any more.

Dewalt Drill DW106

Other option would be this one from HF:

Brand new and only $14.99. For as much as it will get used, it would be hard to pass up.

paul cottingham
01-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I have a 12v dewalt as well (12 years -or so- old!), and it is my favorite drill. the batteries are dying, and I think i'll buy new ones. love that drill.

Michael Schneider
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
You might pick up a used corded drill. A nice bosch or milwaulkee often go for very cheap on ebay.

Good luck,
Michael

Mike Barney Sr
01-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Unless you need portability, corded is the only way to go. They're never out of juice.

And also on drill/drivers, get a drill. Then get a drywall screwgun for driving screws. The clutch in a screwgun beats a drill/driver every time.

David Prince
01-23-2011, 1:48 PM
Unless you need portability, corded is the only way to go. They're never out of juice.

And also on drill/drivers, get a drill. Then get a drywall screwgun for driving screws. The clutch in a screwgun beats a drill/driver every time.

I have one of these and it never runs out of juice. It also has an adjustable clutch that adjusts the torque instead of a depth stop.

Milwaukee 6580-20 6.5 Amp Screwdriver http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6580-20-6-5-Amp-Screwdriver/dp/B00005Q7AK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1295808187&sr=1-4

(this one isn't a drywall screwgun)

scott vroom
01-23-2011, 1:50 PM
Or you could go with this.....portable and never needs a charge.