PDA

View Full Version : 440 Whump!

Ken Casser
01-22-2011, 6:53 PM
Got your attention. Good. I have a new Delta 46-460 lathe. The motor is smooth. The bearings are smooth. The belt seems smooth. But when I'm on the LOW range and turn the speed up to #5 (440 rpm), I get a whump whump whump that seems to be in line with the speed of the rotation. As I turn it up to 6, 7, 8, it whumps faster. But, when I move the belt to the middle or high range, the Whump! goes away, or, at the higher speeds, is not in synch with the rotation speed. What gives? Is this normal? Or do I need a different belt? The whump whump whump is enough to rattle the things on my massive 4" x 6" x 3 timbers wide base (see my other post about my cool bench). Call me Mr. Sensitive, but I don't think it should be making those noises/vibrations.

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 7:04 PM
Ken, that is NOT normal!! Would there be something on the pulley(s) for the slow speed?? Other than that, I am stumped.

Dennis Ford
01-22-2011, 7:07 PM
Just a guess but you might check out the pulleys on the low range. There might be something stuck to a pulley causing this.

Jon Prouty
01-23-2011, 12:57 AM
check the belt... I have heard of others having some flashing caught in the belt grooves and this is causing some issues. Let us know how it is going.

Jon

Gary Max
01-23-2011, 2:27 AM
If it where me------take it back to where you bought it and let them figure it out. Like John said ----that ain't a normal.

Ken Casser
01-23-2011, 7:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll check it out in more detail tomorrow (I'm away today). Can't send it back - it came by mail. I appreciate knowing that this is unusual. I'll figure out what it is.