PDA

View Full Version : Urn - Take Three

Linda Persoon
01-22-2011, 5:57 PM
I’ve been pretty excited to find this group of turners – pretty isolated up here in NE Washington. But I’m hoping weather will allow evening travel to Spokane to join the closest AAW club next month.

Here are pictures of the progression of the urn I posted earlier. With help from several of you, I will now call it finished. After turning mostly utility bowls, this had been an adventure. 2nd HF using the Kelton Hollower, first piece of cherry turned, & first attempt at carving. It was one of those projects that just would not let me call it done, until now. I played around with several ideas and had fun the whole way. It’s time to move on to something else.
Comments & critiques very much welcomed. Thanks fellow turners!

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 6:00 PM
Linda, very nice progression and the end product was well worth the time and effort you put into the changes! I really like the carving - great pattern for this piece.

Richard Madden
01-22-2011, 6:52 PM
Very well done, Linda. Nice shape, and the carving really compliments the piece. What are the dimensions?

Roland Martin
01-22-2011, 6:57 PM
Excellent work, Linda. Your overall talent shows through in all aspects in this urn. Very well done! Thanks for posting.

Roger Chandler
01-22-2011, 7:16 PM
Now that is pretty, Linda! Very nice embellishment, and I like the contrasting woods! Nice going....;)

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2011, 7:16 PM
Really a excellent piece. Thanks for sharing the progress pic's.

David DeCristoforo
01-22-2011, 7:19 PM
It has been fun watching this evolve. It has come a long way from the "A Bomb" you started out with! This is a testament to perseverance. The leafless trees are a nice simple design that complement the urn nicely. Glad you hung in there with it!

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 7:45 PM
Beautiful job! You certainly refined the piece each step of the way, and the finished product is lovely. Your embellishments look great and really bring the whole thing together.

Tim Thiebaut
01-22-2011, 7:53 PM
That came out very nice, I love the carving you did on this, it looks great!

Bob Bergstrom
01-22-2011, 7:57 PM
This all works very well together. The trees just set off a very pleasing shape. It looks good as an urn and would be a very nice lamp base also.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2011, 8:29 PM
Well worth the effort! Really like your carved design!

Linda Persoon
01-22-2011, 9:26 PM
With the top, it is 12 1/2" tall. 5 1/2 at widest point.

Cathy Schaewe
01-22-2011, 9:58 PM
I really like the way it ended up. The carving really complements the piece.

Michael James
01-22-2011, 11:20 PM
That is so NOT a bowl you must have felt like you were starting all over. I appreciate you sharing your educational voyage with us, concur on the props, and really like the "winter" trees. Is that what Wash looks like in the winter?
mj

Mark Hubl
01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Very nice progression. The piece turned out well. I really like the pyro design, it adds a lot to the work. Good job.

Ron Stadler
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Great Job Linda, looks really nice, and you did a fine job on the pyrography for the first time.:)

Linda Persoon
01-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks again for everyones input. Just to clear up a little misunderstanding: No pyrography on this piece. However, I intend to learn a bit of woodburning later.

The "trees" were carved with a V-tool after the black cherry was sealed with thinned shellac. Then they were stained. The vertical lines were cut, then filled with Inlace. This was an experimental piece for me and I wanted to try different things.

I've got a granddaughter's birthday coming soon - so am designing something. Will share when done.

Linda

Duff Bement
01-24-2011, 1:37 PM
Looks GREAT Sis!!!! From where it started you made great save. I think you've got me thinking about the carving stuff. I can't let you get to far ahead of me in the skills department or I will never catch up.

Steve Vaughan
01-24-2011, 3:34 PM
Yup, me too. I like what you've done, and the carving you've done really complements the the piece well.

Todd Bin
01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello. Very nice piece. I particularly like the carving. I understand the v tool for the trees and the shellac/dyeing technique. Can you briefly explain the background stimpling technique you used?

Thanks,
Todd