PDA

View Full Version : Clamps

Greg Just
01-22-2011, 4:54 PM
Does anyone use surgical tubing as a clamp? Where did you buy it?

Leo Vogel
01-22-2011, 5:23 PM
I don't use it as a clamp, but saw some yesterday at a medicial supply store.

Cliff Furman
01-22-2011, 7:50 PM
At a drug store, you can buy a 6' or so piece, with handles at each end. It's an exercise deal. Just in case you can't buy just the tubing.

Keith Westfall
01-22-2011, 7:52 PM
Some sporting stores carry it. It works good on round things!!

Dale Coons
01-22-2011, 8:38 PM
Never used it for clamping, but the cheapest way to buy it is in 50 or 100 foot rolls. It's available in several strengths. Do a search on Thera-Band (a brand name) and you'll also see some generic products.

Steve Kohn
01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
My local Menards carries rubber tubing in 10 foot rolls in the plumbing section. Works very good for clamping irregular stuff.

glenn bradley
01-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Scuba supply, medical supply, even some craft stores. The last section I bought was through Lee Valley. Same price as Sport Chalet and I was placing an order anyway.

michael osadchuk
01-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I use the inner tubes of bicycle tires as a clamp for round or odd shaped glue ups and they are very cheap - probably about $2 apiece, free if you bicycle or can get cast offs (and obviously WalMart quality is fine in this application).... I find the inner tubing from thin/racing bike tires easier to manipulate than the tubing from fat/mountain bike tires and still exerts plenty of force...... btw, I also have surgical tubing on hand (up to 3/8" outside diameter) from r/c sailplane catapult launching methods and I think the bicycle inner tubing can exert way more ultimate clamping pressure... the only limit would be the length of the bicycle inner tube but I guess you could tie several together though the knots would bulge somewhat ....

good luck

michael