PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange Gloat? and questions

Deane Allinson
01-22-2011, 4:00 PM
I'm a newbie turner and don't have any turning stock. I went out to scrounge a couple of small apple limbs. I went out by the railroad tracks and spotted a huge chunk of wood that looks like it had been sitting there for years. It's Osage Orange. I cut off a few places to try to make it lighter to get into the back of the station wagon. I felt all of my 60 years. Its about 3ft. x 2ft. x 1 1/2ft. Do I need to seal the places where i hacked some off? I don't have a moisture meter. I could be well dried already. any suggestions as how to treat it?
Deane

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 4:30 PM
That's a very cool looking chunk of wood, and I can only imagine how heavy it is! I don't think you can ever go wrong sealing cut ends, so I probably would. I'm anxious to see what you get out of that piece.

Ken Hill
01-22-2011, 4:41 PM
The last pic...oh my! That looks to be an outstand pice!!!!

charlie knighton
01-22-2011, 4:42 PM
you need to pm Jerry Marcantel (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?60399-Jerry-Marcantel), definitely a match

Dennis Ford
01-22-2011, 7:24 PM
It won't hurt to seal it and the sealer does not cost much. I am interested to see what you turn from this, it looks like choosing a form might be challenging.

brian watts
01-22-2011, 11:28 PM
WOW .. yea i would seal it

George Guadiane
01-23-2011, 12:56 PM
NICE piece of wood!
I'm thinking it MIGHT be black locust, an equally beautiful wood (IMO)
I hope you will post pictures of what it "turns" into.

Gary Herrmann
01-23-2011, 3:03 PM
Definitely seal it. If it's Locust or Osage, turn it while it's dry. They're both very hard. I've never seen it, but a friend says he's seen sparks come off osage when machining it.

Nate Davey
01-23-2011, 3:47 PM
One thing to be aware of with Osage, and this was told to me by an old woodworker at work, is that as it grows, it will pick up rocks and grow around them. I don't know if this is true or not, but as I was cross cutting a log about a month ago, I had something tear a tooth off my bandsaw blade and kink it. A buddy had a similar experience. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Deane Allinson
01-23-2011, 4:19 PM
It seems to be very dry. I squared up one of the pieces that I had cut off with a hand saw and it cut like well seasoned wood. You're correct it is very hard stuff. I'm trying out my first "non chisel handle" turning this afternoon. The sawdust is a real yellowly color. I'm learning already from this about planning ahead. I have ended up with a lot smaller piece than I had expected due to the odd shape. I guess that I should start out small anyway.
Deane

dan carter
01-23-2011, 4:55 PM
That's a real beauty. Keep your chisels nice and sharp, sharpen periodically often, and enjoy the grand piece of wood. Will be interesting to see how you turn it. Good luck.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2011, 6:09 PM
Deane - looking forward to seeing what you turn out of this! Very interesting looking wood!

I agree with the majority here - it can't hurt sealing the wood but then again - you're in Texas and chances are that stuff is bone dry if it has been sitting next to the tracks for years!

Thomas Canfield
01-23-2011, 8:54 PM
Deane,

Congratulations. You said you are a "newbie". No one else said it, but I would recommend that you seal this and leave it until after you turn some more normal wood to get the hang of it. The Osage Orange can beat you to death getting started even with fairly good tool control. It will teach you patience and sharpening tools. I'll be looking for a post. There should be some other turners in the area tha can steer you to some good practice wood.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2011, 8:57 PM
Congrats. That is some knarly and interesting looking wood. Can't wait to see some turnings from it.

Mike Zipparo
01-24-2011, 2:53 AM
Gloat worthy, indeed.

My advice is that you biegin by working smaller pieces to determine how the wood turns. This experience may be valuable, as some of the larger pieces are likely to be challenging in terms of design and technique.

A lot of possibilities and potential there. Don't be in too much of a hurry to turn it all.

Osage is a very hard and dense wood that sands and takes a finish beautifully.