PDA

View Full Version : Blue Spruce thin marking knife?

Tony Shea
01-22-2011, 2:53 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Blue Spruce's very thin marking knife? I have a great marking knife already by Chester Toolworks but often run into issues while marking out my pin board on the narrower pins. Have been considering Blue Spruce's marking knife but thought I'd check around first.

David Weaver
01-22-2011, 3:52 PM
I got one as a gift, it's nicely done. Works exactly like you'd expect and fits in tight spaces.

If you don't want to pay for one, you can get a ferrule and make a knife out of just about anything. If you don't have a lathe, the task isn't as inviting.

Casey Gooding
01-22-2011, 4:04 PM
I have both the small and large Blue Spruce marking knives. They are fantastic tools that work great and feel great in your hands. The only real drawback I see to the small one is that sharpening can tough. The bevels are very small.

Niels Cosman
01-22-2011, 4:06 PM
I'm interested in peoples opinions too!

I've been looking for a better knife to mark out dovetails, and wanted a thin knife to drop into saw DT saw kerfs.
Im trying to decide between the Blue Spruce or the Czeck Edge "Kerf Kadet".
I think im actually leaning toward the Kadet. I generally find the Czeck Edge handle designs a bit random (goofy looking), but the Kadet seems well visually balanced and purposefully designed. I like the way the grooved ferrule and the handle blend flush. I could see being able to grasp tool close to the edge (like a pencil).

Rick Erickson
01-22-2011, 4:30 PM
Cosman is coming out with his knife soon. I own two Blue Spruce knives and like them but I can't wait to get my hands on Cosman's.

Niels Cosman
01-22-2011, 4:54 PM
Let me guess- Rob's knife is going to be 3 times as expensive and wrapped in hockey tape :):):)

Andrew Gibson
01-22-2011, 5:20 PM
You might also look at the Czeck Edge marking knives. I saw them last year at the LN event here in Tampa and they were very nice... Bob is also a great guy to stand around and waist an hour with.
http://czeckedge.com/index.html

Pam Niedermayer
01-22-2011, 7:07 PM
I'm interested in peoples opinions too!

I've been looking for a better knife to mark out dovetails, and wanted a thin knife to drop into saw DT saw kerfs. ...

Your dovetail saw would fit.

Pam

Niels Cosman
01-22-2011, 7:43 PM
Pam- I've tried that (ala St. Roy) with mixed results. Maybe I haven't been doing it properly, but I have had a hard time coaxing the blade back in the cut without shifting the piece of wood I am marking from.
cheers,
niels

John Sanford
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I have one, like it a lot, although I haven't really used it yet for challenging (i.e. dovetails and such) tasks. There is one thing I don't like about it though... it doesn't have flats on the side, so it rolls off the bench. DAMHIKT.

Pam Niedermayer
01-23-2011, 2:21 AM
Pam- I've tried that (ala St. Roy) with mixed results. Maybe I haven't been doing it properly, but I have had a hard time coaxing the blade back in the cut without shifting the piece of wood I am marking from.

OK, but it's easier if you clean out the waste. For that matter, this holds for using thicker knives, too. My Japanese dovetail saw has almost zero set, so this isn't really an issue either way.

Pam

Rick Erickson
01-23-2011, 7:51 AM
Tony, in terms of skinny pins, I've had no problem doing them with the Blue Spruce regular knife. I think the thin knife may flex a little too much for your liking (unless you are already use to that).