PDA

View Full Version : Tool Handle

Tim Thiebaut
01-22-2011, 2:23 PM
Ok, so I was hesitant about posting this, I mean come on compared to what most are posting here this is no big deal, but it turned out well for me so here goes. I have a few larger projects going including my first bowl, but I needed something small to do this morning and knocked this out real quick...specs are approx "7 1/2 long, made from Curly Maple, Mylands Friction Polish for finish, I did not sand past 220 as I didnt want to smooth of a surface on this, so there would be a little texture for better grip. Oh and my first burn lines to!

Roger Chandler
01-22-2011, 2:29 PM
Good job, Tim! Every project is an advancement in the skill set. This is part of the journey, so thanks for sharing!

Mark Hubl
01-22-2011, 2:34 PM
Looks good to me Tim. I like creating my own tools and also like seeing what others are coming up with. Thanks for posting.

Dan Cannon
01-22-2011, 2:41 PM
I personally really like seeing utility pieces along with the amazing art on this site, I'm glad you posted this! I've been meaning to try to make one, but didn't have a way to bore the hole until just recently. Out of curiosity, what type of tool is that? most handles I see are typically much longer than the steel portion, but depending on the use, I guess it may not matter as much. Also, what did you use for the ferrel?
Thanks again for posting, you may have just inspired me to upgrade a couple of my old handles.

Dan

Tim Thiebaut
01-22-2011, 3:16 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind comments, one of the great things about this forum is the encouragment from all of you guys and gals, thank you!

@ Dan - Hi Dan, I just bored the 1/4 hole right on the lathe for the steel tool. It is an extension for a drill bit that I fit into this handle, for starting or boring holes in the end of spindles etc. In the first picture you can just see a part of the drill bit, so I wanted the handle shorter to fit between the headstock and tailstock while working on a project. For the ferrel I used a 3/4 copper water pipe, I had some small sections left over from various projects through the years, I cut off a piece "3/4 long, chucked it into the spigit jaws in my chuck and trued up both ends, and polished before fitting onto the handle. Thank you for your interest, I am very glad you all liked this!

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 4:53 PM
That's a great looking handle, and it gives me some ideas for tools using those drill extensions. Thanks.