PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Box

Tom Scott
01-12-2005, 2:10 PM
Hey all,
This was one of 3 "fireplace boxes" I made as Christmas gifts this year for family members. This one is maple with a dye stain and 2 coats of BLO (no wax at this point). Hand-cut dovetails (this was the first one of 3, so they're not as nice as the following ones…really). The carved lettering was a first for me on these. I hadn't ever done any type of carving before this, but enjoyed it. The other 2 boxes were cherry and actually looked much nicer. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of those, but will try to post later.

Thanks for looking,
Tom

Dan Moening
01-12-2005, 4:20 PM
Tom,

Please don't take this as a slight {its intended to be complimentary}

but that has an unmistakable "made with handtools" look to it.

I'd be proud of that.

The handle hole appears to have another piece of wood inset there. Could you show a close up or describe what's going on there?

Ted Shrader
01-12-2005, 5:00 PM
Please don't take this as a slight (it's intended to be complimentary) but that has an unmistakable "made with hand tools" look to it.
Tom -

Ditto Dan's comment about hand made. Nice job! Truly something to display proudly.

Ted

Steve Inniss
01-12-2005, 6:53 PM
Tom,
Wonderful box. I have to make one or two of those - 12" x 16" or so? -Steve

Bob Smalser
01-12-2005, 8:15 PM
First rate, Tom.

Practice that chip carving and hang out a sign for commissions from yachtsmen for gold leaf name boards....200 to 400 and up isn't uncommon.

Jerry Olexa
01-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Very nice work.. Your lettering looks good...You should be very proud,,,Great gift idea

Tom Scott
01-13-2005, 1:21 AM
Thanks all for the compliments. I had been wanting to try lettering for a while, and thought this would be a good excuse to learn. I always liked the look of carved names in blanket chests (which may be a near-future project). Becksvoort sells a similar crate from his catalog and offers carved names as an option. I liked the look and files it away as a possible project.

Dan,
Must be the wood behind you're seeing. The handle is cut completely through. Very simple. Nothing inset.

Bob,
Thanks. Unfortunately, not many yahtsmen around these north Texas parts that want to hang a nice wood name board on their fiberglass hull. I must admit that I never thought much about sign carving until I started reading and researching for this project. A search on the internet for carved lettering yields a lot of links for people doing this, though. It might make a nice side business if someone had the inclination.

Tom

Mark Singer
01-13-2005, 9:09 AM
Tom,

Really great piece...it has the quality of a hand made piece and a lot of tradition and sensitivity in the design. Beautiful dovetails ! Very nice dovetail layout starting with a half pin and the big tails...wonderful. The quality and simplicity really works here. This type of project is great for people wanting to learn to cut dovetails and use handtools...it is great practice and you end up with a terrific finished product...as you have.

Jim Becker
01-13-2005, 9:37 AM
Tom, I have to agree...this is a wonderful piece and the "hand made" aspect of it makes it dear for the purpose. I might have to make one of these someday when I feel more comfortable with the dovetails. Speaking of which, the very narrow pins are great!

John Shuk
01-13-2005, 9:50 AM
Tom,

Please don't take this as a slight {its intended to be complimentary}

but that has an unmistakable "made with handtools" look to it.

I'd be proud of that.

The handle hole appears to have another piece of wood inset there. Could you show a close up or describe what's going on there?
I third this remark. The dovetails are lovely the design is thoughtful and timeless. A classic treasure before it was finished. The piece looks like it "yearns to be touched". It is gonna get nicer with age.

Roy Wall
01-13-2005, 11:22 AM
It's all been said above - and I totally agree-------very nice work!!

Ellen Benkin
01-13-2005, 12:08 PM
It looks great -- especially the dovetails and the carving. I made one for a class, but the orientation was the other way and the firewood stands "on end" rather than lying flat. It takes less floor space that way. Also had to use box joints (for the class). I prefer the dovetails because I appreciate the handwork. Please try to get pictures of the others and post them.

Terry Hatfield
01-13-2005, 5:58 PM
Tom,

SUPER NICE JOB!!!!!!! It would almost be a shame to throw wood in it!!!!!!!

Terry