PDA

View Full Version : installing small box hinges

Charlie Stone
01-22-2011, 2:09 PM
Does anyone have experience in installing Rocklers small box hinge http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16938
On the lid stay, there is a small hole, which I assume is to keep the stay from slipping though the notch after it is installed, but I am not sure if it is just supposed to get a glob of glue in it or what?
Also, I am wonder how the mortise for the stay is supposed to go in. Could I get away with a hole straight down letting the stay flex above the hinge, or should there be a mortise all the way along the lower box wall to the back of the box?
I was amazed that the small barrel hinges (pretty straight forward) came with instructions yet these more complex hinges did not.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Harvey Pascoe
01-22-2011, 4:06 PM
I install small box hinges all the time. All I can say is good luck on those babies. I bought a pair and never managed to get the top to line up correctly as they are just too small and there is zero error for anything less than perfect screw hole alignment. Matching the top to the bottom is the problem when you got the top and bottom at a 90 degree angle and the bottom leaves already fastened. When you're working small, the tinyest error causes obvious misalignment.

I use a jig for installing tops with normal butt hinges, its the only way to get a perfect fit, but making a jig for those hinges hardly seemed worth the effort. Let us know if you find a solution, I'd like to hear it.

Andrew Hughes
01-22-2011, 6:42 PM
Hi charlie,i have done a fair amount of those rockler hinges they are tricky.I noticed the hole in the support piece.But never did anything with it.My its there for manufacturing?The mortice for the support needs to go in the lid and bottom so your box needs to have a thick lid maybe 7/8.I do make the one in the bottom deeper.Its helps to have them as close to the same depth.To line up the lid with the bottom.Try this after installing the hinge on the bottom with screws.Line up the lid on the leaves with some glue i use five minute epoxy let it dry enough to handle.Carefully flip it over and mark the location of the hinge with your favorite marking knife.Pop off the hinges with a chisel and tap from a hammer.Its a good idea to mark the hinges to keep track of them they are usually not shaped equally.Hope this helps.