PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Splat

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 1:47 PM
Curt Fuller posted a piece a while back entitled 'SPLAT' that was particularly appealing to me, and I've had that piece in the back of my mind for a while. I bought a little bit of wood from John Keeton a while back, and this piece labeled 'desert walnut' seemed to have some potential for an attempt at a similar form. I don't like my version as much as the inspiration piece, but I'll keep trying.

About 4" tall and finished with shellac, BLO, and WOP. It's a little shiny for my liking, so I may knock down the finish at some point.

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Michael James
01-22-2011, 1:53 PM
Very nice David! Glad to see you back on the lathe. I assume the remodel, reorganization is done and you can spend more time playing. I remember Curt's piece, and see the resemblance there. Too many variables to make an exact copy which is nice about wood.
I tend to like less glossy finishes myself, but I'd look at this one a few times before I knocked it back.. could grow on you as it's very well done. Thanks for posting!
mj

David DeCristoforo
01-22-2011, 1:54 PM
Cool. Yes... very shiny. This made me laugh when I saw it because it reminded me of that ad that used to run for Maxell recording tape (remember recording tape?) where this guy wearing full leather biker gear is sitting in a chair in front of a huge pair of loudspeakers looking like he's in a wind tunnel.

charlie knighton
01-22-2011, 1:56 PM
very nice, i like your wing

Roland Martin
01-22-2011, 2:04 PM
That is a beautiful piece, David. I think the form is great and like the finish as is, it seems to bring out the grain more than a satin finish would. "Very nice work"

Ted Calver
01-22-2011, 2:09 PM
I like it, but it screams pitcher and needs a handle.

Roger Chandler
01-22-2011, 2:18 PM
Nice David.............I like the shine on the finish.........makes it look like more than "just a hunk of wood"..:eek:.......I think a lot of people who do not turn and appreciate what goes into making a form such as this, think the shine adds more value to it.

I guess it would depend on who you did this piece for, as to the finial finish........if for yourself, then do what you like the most, if it is for someone else down the road, then a glossy finish would likely be valued by them.

Mark Hubl
01-22-2011, 3:02 PM
Another nice NE David. Finish is great.

Curt Fuller
01-22-2011, 3:06 PM
Two things really bug me when someone says they copied or have been inspired by something I've done. First, they always do it better than I did. And second, I copied it from someone else so then I feel guilt for getting credit for something that wasn't my idea to start with. But then the feeling that someone liked something you've done enough to be inspired by it overrides those other two feelings so it all works out.

David, that's another beauty! Man, you are really on a roll. I actually like your form better but I think the initial shape of the wood seems to dictate that more than anything. And I could never come close to that finish. It's just a beautiful piece! And BTW, I was inspired by several pieces done by Ed Koenig in this style. As creative as Ed is, he may be the originator.

Jon Nuckles
01-22-2011, 4:27 PM
Beautiful piece and I think the slight gloss looks good on it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2011, 4:47 PM
Beautiful piece David! I actually like the gloss that you have as it plays against the natural edge opening! Sure is a nice form! Thanks for sharing! Sure glad you've been able to find some time to get back on the lathe!!!

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 6:05 PM
David, wonderful use of that piece of wood!! You should have shown a pic of the "before" - dramatic artistry with an otherwise difficult piece of wood! Leave the gloss!!! I really like this one, and as much as your rosewood piece deserved WoW covers - this piece is equally as nice!

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 7:00 PM
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Two things really bug me when someone says they copied or have been inspired by something I've done. First, they always do it better than I did. And second, I copied it from someone else so then I feel guilt for getting credit for something that wasn't my idea to start with. But then the feeling that someone liked something you've done enough to be inspired by it overrides those other two feelings so it all works out.

David, that's another beauty! Man, you are really on a roll. I actually like your form better but I think the initial shape of the wood seems to dictate that more than anything. And I could never come close to that finish. It's just a beautiful piece! And BTW, I was inspired by several pieces done by Ed Koenig in this style. As creative as Ed is, he may be the originator.

Thanks. I appreciate the sentiment, Curt, but it was your piece that got me going. One of the problems with relatively new to the world of turning is that I don't know enough about the work of others. I'll see what I can find of Ed Koenig's work for further study. You and I seem to share an affinity for funky bits of wood and the resultant forms.

Very nice David! Glad to see you back on the lathe. I assume the remodel, reorganization is done and you can spend more time playing. I remember Curt's piece, and see the resemblance there. Too many variables to make an exact copy which is nice about wood.
I tend to like less glossy finishes myself, but I'd look at this one a few times before I knocked it back.. could grow on you as it's very well done. Thanks for posting!
mj

The shop is up and going although 'done' is probably not the right description for the shop... Perhaps 'done enough' would be more accurate. I'm gonna leave the form shiny for now and see what happens.

I like it, but it screams pitcher and needs a handle.

I hadn't thought of that, Ted, but I've got some of this wood left... I may try a piece with a handle at some point down the road.

David, wonderful use of that piece of wood!! You should have shown a pic of the "before" - dramatic artistry with an otherwise difficult piece of wood! Leave the gloss!!! I really like this one, and as much as your rosewood piece deserved WoW covers - this piece is equally as nice!

I've got some left... In fact, this was a little less than half of one of the pieces. I appreciate you passing on this stuff, as it's really got some interesting figure. Next time I jump on a piece of this stuff, I'll try to remember to get some 'process' photos. And thanks for the kind words.

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2011, 7:15 PM
Beautiful piece David. Really like the form and finish.

Cathy Schaewe
01-22-2011, 9:24 PM
I got some pieces from JK too, and haven't figured out yet what to do with them. I'm hoping that mine will turn out half - no make that a quarter - as good. That is a beautiful piece.