PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here at John Keeton's request

Jim Adkins
01-22-2011, 1:21 PM
At the request from John Keeton I am attempting to post some info about myself along with photos of my work. I am a woodturner (1 strike against me) I have been turning for approx 15 yrs and now specialize in Southwestern Native Basket forms. The photos are of an Apache Wedding Basket completed in 09'. Size is 14" D x 1.75" H., Turned green from hard Maple, alcahol soaked, paper wrapped & allowed to dry for 4 wks. Remounted onto lathe, finished turned, pyrography applied on beads then dyed & finished. I hope I have posted this correctly!! Thanks to all
Jim Adkins in MO

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2011, 1:25 PM
Jim......Welcome to the Creek!

What extraordinarily beautiful work! I don't know if I would have skill or the patience.

Mark Burge
01-22-2011, 1:30 PM
Newbie to the Creek maybe, but that's not newbie work! Very nice looking piece. I had to take a hard look to make sure it wasn't basket weave. Welcome to the Creek. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Dan Cannon
01-22-2011, 1:36 PM
Wow, you must have the patience of a saint! The detail on this is amazing! I'm glad John talked you into joining, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here, as I'm sure we will all enjoy seeing your beautiful work.

Dan

Ron Stadler
01-22-2011, 1:39 PM
How, White man with talent of "Running with Spear" welcome here, jk, beautiful work. I love this southwestern stuff.

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 1:39 PM
Welcome! I am not worthy! That's a gorgeous piece of work with such rich color and detail. I hope you'll stick around.

Matt Ranum
01-22-2011, 1:42 PM
Thats beautiful! Welcome!!

Michael James
01-22-2011, 1:47 PM
Jim, thats quite beautiful! I live out here in the middle of all things NA SW and am drawn to the pottery forms. After I get some more confidence, I hope to head into the design and texturing part of it. At this stage (for me) lipstick on a pig, is just that!
Thanks for posting your art, and welcome from NM. We like John around here, so you must be ok!
Michael

David DeCristoforo
01-22-2011, 1:50 PM
Welcome, Jim. Read on folks...

http://www.dailystatesman.com/story/1577764.html

Roland Martin
01-22-2011, 1:59 PM
Thank you David for the link.
Welcome, Jim. As others have said, you most certainly have the patience of a Saint and are an incredible artist/craftsman. Thanks for letting John drag you in here:).

gary Zimmel
01-22-2011, 2:22 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jim. Exceptional work...

Mark Hubl
01-22-2011, 2:31 PM
Welcome aboard Jim.

Your work is beautiful. I look forward to seeing more of it and learning along the way.

Roger Chandler
01-22-2011, 2:33 PM
Welcome to the Creek! Don't be hiding beautiful work like this, it needs to be shared so everyone can enjoy the art, the artist and the knowledge you have to impart to others who admire your work.

I am glad JK got you to post...........may it be the first of many to come!

Steve Vaughan
01-22-2011, 2:51 PM
Welcome and wow! Very cool indeed. Can you share your steps to doing that work? Or is it somewhere around here on the creek? That's really neat stuff right there and I love the combo of the wood, colors, and pattern of it all.

Thom Sturgill
01-22-2011, 3:43 PM
Awesome! I've just started playing with pyrography and have some feeling for the time those would take me. Thanks for posting. Humbling...

Jon Nuckles
01-22-2011, 4:34 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting this.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2011, 5:03 PM
Jim - Welcome to the Creek!

I still remember John after coming back from a demonstration that you did for his turning club - he was fascinated by what he saw - and, being John - just had to know more! I am very happy that you accepted his invitation to join us! We all look forward to getting to know you!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Steve LaFara
01-22-2011, 5:51 PM
Wow!

I'm speachless...........................

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 5:58 PM
Jim, I have been out today, and just getting back in. I am so glad that you decided to join this group!! Folks, even as beautiful as the pics are that Jim posted, you really cannot appreciate his work unless you have held one in your hands! They not only look like woven basketry - they feel like basketry. Light in weight with the perfect texture. And, above and beyond all of that, Jim is just a very outgoing individual to be around - very humble, and very willing to respond to questions. To watch him do this work is worth your time and effort. The demo he did at our club was awesome. If you get the chance - do it!

Thanks, again, Jim. I know you stay busy, but I hope you continue to be a part of this community!

Michael James
01-22-2011, 6:16 PM
Welcome, Jim. Read on folks...

http://www.dailystatesman.com/story/1577764.html

This is the same feeling I used to get walking away from a Stevie Ray Vaugn show.... should I go home and practice my rear off, or just get it over with and sell the gear in the morning......sigh

Thanx David for that article!

John Beaver
01-22-2011, 6:29 PM
Stunning work Jim,

I was drawn to the little detail where you didn't close the red circle and let the tip of the flower follow through. Really enhances that S.W. Indian feeling.
I also read the article, and was very impressed at your detail inside the "pots." It's one thing to do the exterior, but quite another to work the inside that well .

It's a real treat to see your work.
Thanks for sharing.

Richard Madden
01-22-2011, 6:45 PM
Welcome, Jim. Reading the article that David D. linked, I see you're from Dexter. We have some good friends in Gatewood, a little west from Dexter. I'm in St. Charles County myself. You do some fantastic work and I hope you stick around here, I have several questions I'd like to ask, but for now...Welcome!

GLENN THOMAS
01-22-2011, 7:10 PM
WOW and Welcome to the creek.

Since you have been turning for so long Im sure you have more picture to post and I for one wold really like to see more of your work.

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2011, 7:13 PM
Welcome to SMC Jim. That is some beautiful work.

Cathy Schaewe
01-22-2011, 9:47 PM
This is the same feeling I used to get walking away from a Stevie Ray Vaugn show.... should I go home and practice my rear off, or just get it over with and sell the gear in the morning......sigh

Thanx David for that article!
Ya, ditto.
Amazing stuff.

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Welcome. Very beautiful work!

Scott Hackler
01-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Welcome Jim. The piece is fantastic. I can't imagine the collection of basket forms you have accumulated.

Jim Adkins
01-23-2011, 8:51 AM
Thanks John and to all for the kind, encouraging words. To all a big "thank you". Am still learning the workings of the Creek, I do want to answer any questions regarding my methods for doing my "stuff" but not sure if I should post a dissertation on here or not!! I met John @ Lexington, KY last fall while doing a Demo for his local club, a very short Demo, time constraints!! but I do enjoy doing Demos & teaching. I have no secrets and am more than happy to help others get "addicted" to this facinating artform if I may use that terminology. For now I will say Thank You All for the postings, I appreciate all.
Jim

Bill Bolen
01-23-2011, 1:22 PM
Welcome....stunning work..such detail. Even being a turner it is hard to believe that these pieces are not woven. Such an allusion. I enjoyed the article also...Bill..

Clint Baxter
01-23-2011, 6:04 PM
Wow! I'm big time impressed. When I think of what it took to do that, I can only shake my head in wonderment. Don't have the time to invest that much into a piece. Looks well worth it though. Looking forward to seeing/hearing your techniques and more pieces

Clint