PDA

View Full Version : Pierced Sycamore Vase

Mark Burge
01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Hello everyone! I haven't posted anything in a while because I haven't made much lately. But I did get around to a redo. Over a year ago, I had a catch and cracked the rim of a sycamore vase I was working on. I glued it back together and left it sitting in the shop for a long time trying to figure out what to do with it. I finally decided to finish the hollowing and pierce the rim to help hide the glue lines. After that I started experimenting with colors and dying techniques. I actually lost track of what all I did to it. Mostly, I thinned artists oils and wiped it on. The orange in the piercings was straight painting with oil. It has several coats of tung oil and was finished with spray poly.

As you can see, I've got some dust in the finish and I'm not satisfied with that at all. There are a few dings that I'm just going to leave, and some end grain tear out that is staying too. Overall, a successful experiment, but one I will keep around the house.

Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-22-2011, 1:08 PM
Mark, is there something I am not seeing, or did you pierce that vase the thickness of pic #1? howdjadothat? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Max

Mark Burge
01-22-2011, 1:14 PM
Nope, I turned it down, but it is still about an eighth of an inch. Pierced with a drill bit then cleaned up with a dremel and carving burr. I was pleased that my seven year old son said "is that where a worm ate it?" when I showed him. Just what I was going for.

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 1:19 PM
What a great way to make the best of a bad situation! I've got some crippled pieces that I need to do a little experimenting on...

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 5:47 PM
Very nice "worm eaten" vase, Mark!! Good save.

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2011, 5:51 PM
Very nice "worm eaten" vase, Mark!! Good save.

I was thinking the same thing! Nice save!

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Thats a good way to rescue a piece!

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Nice save Mark. Looks you made the best of it.

Mark Burge
01-24-2011, 1:13 PM
Thanks, everyone.