PDA

View Full Version : yet another dc question

peter gern
01-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello all, I have now moved into my new shop and all I have left to do is buy (groan) and install my DC system. I am going to install my DC in the basement under my shop and run the ducting under the floor. I was originally going to get a cyclone but height limitations-78"- and cost made me hesitate. Now I am wondering if I even need to bother with a cyclone. If I run my dc in the basement any dust issues will be in the basement right? If that is the case my other concern would be the ports which always seem to be at near floor level on a dc. I would then have to almost immediately bring the ducting up to joist level. Would that seriously affect the performance. :confused:

peter

Bob Riefer
01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Is this a detached dedicated shop or part of your home?

George Bregar
01-22-2011, 11:30 AM
The dust issues are 1) In your shop. This really only pertains to your ability to collect dust at it's source and the ability of the DC to carry it away...and in the broad sense both a cyclone and a single stage can accomplish this. The other area that dust is an issue is 2) at the DC end...the collected dust will clog the filter of a single stage DC rapidly degrading it performance. Now you have a problem with #1. This is why people use cyclones. You can use a Phil Thien separator to perform the same functions as a cyclone...it separates the heavier saw dust and alot of the fines to keep your filter clean longer, and your single stage DC operating more efficiently. Google "phil thien" or search here for more info. Good news is they are relatively easy and inexpensive to make, and you can upgrade your single stage DC. 2HP cyclones cost between $1000-$1500. A single stage grizz 3hp = 400...$600 with filters. You didn't provide much info so: 1) Is your basement conditioned? 2) Do you have outside access from the basement? You may want to exhaust outside...

I'm confused with this

HIf that is the case my other concern would be the ports which always seem to be at near floor level on a dc. I would then have to almost immediately bring the ducting up to joist level. Would that seriously affect the performance. :confused:

peter gern
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Is this a detached dedicated shop or part of your home?

This is a building I just bought. 2 commercial units on the 1st floor. The 1 I am using is 650 sq feet. I am running 1 machine at a time. :)

Peter

peter gern
01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=George Bregar;1616445]The dust issues are 1) In your shop. This really only pertains to your ability to collect dust at it's source and the ability of the DC to carry it away...and in the broad sense both a cyclone and a single stage can accomplish this. The other area that dust is an issue is 2) at the DC end...the collected dust will clog the filter of a single stage DC rapidly degrading it performance. Now you have a problem with #1. This is why people use cyclones. You can use a Phil Thien separator to perform the same functions as a cyclone...it separates the heavier saw dust and alot of the fines to keep your filter clean longer, and your single stage DC operating more efficiently. Google "phil thien" or search here for more info. Good news is they are relatively easy and inexpensive to make, and you can upgrade your single stage DC. 2HP cyclones cost between $1000-$1500. A single stage grizz 3hp = 400...$600 with filters. You didn't provide much info so: 1) Is your basement conditioned? 2) Do you have outside access from the basement? You may want to exhaust outside...

Hi George, The basement is heated in winter and will remain relatively cool but humind in summer. I don't want to vent outside because I live in Montreal and It gets cold here. -20 cel today!! I will have to carry chips up the stairs and out the back door. No big deal.

Peter :)

George Bregar
01-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I would check out the Thien separator...it will reduce trips to the basement to clean filters and improve DC. Also make emptying the chips easier. If your basement is heated you really want to control dust there too. So get a good filter. It's not as good as a full cyclone but close, and a lot less money.