PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Storage Cart

Kyle Kaldor
01-22-2011, 10:42 AM
What do you guys think of the design of this wood storage cart? I'm intending for it to be mobile to get sheets in and out of it. It will sit in the corner of my garage near the door. It is 6 feet wide 2 feet deep and 80" tall. I may have to make the top rack a little lower so I can fit it under the planned storage shelf on the upper part of the wall.

This probably should be in the Design forum, but I figured it would get more visibility here.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't know, man. Looks great if you put it up against the wall but I'd be afraid to make it mobile. I'm not an engineer but it looks like it's at risk of toppling over in the direction of the leaning sheet goods. If it were me, I'd attach brackets on the wall for lumber and build a separate mobile sheet good rack. Lower center of gravity.

Keith Westfall
01-22-2011, 1:17 PM
The top lumber storage should be attached to the wall. How often do you need flat stock "right beside" your project??

The bottom part, if able, can be attached to the wall via hinges so it can be pulled out to load/unload, then pushed back against the wall.

Unless your shop is huge (like really big!) you really don't need a mobile cart, IMHO.

And yes, it is too tall and too narrow to be stable as drawn...

Keith