PDA

View Full Version : Another example tools getting worse......

Karl Brogger
01-22-2011, 9:52 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs042.snc6/167222_1671912008888_1570037517_31547349_6809782_n .jpg

I'm having trouble even finding the 25' Stanley Powerlock tapes anymore. Bottom one is the old tape measure, (new 3.10.10). Top is new tape measure, (new 12.4.10)
:confused:

glenn bradley
01-22-2011, 10:15 AM
The fatter the line the less careful they have to be(?) :D:D:D I have a 35 year old Stanley 12' PowerLock II that has the lower edge marked in 32nds for the first 6" and is actually usable for that purpose. Not so any of the other tapes I have except for the 1/2" wide Lee Valley right-to-left tapes that match my steel rules. I'm not sure how accurate any of them are but they all match over length and it took awhile to put together a "set" that does. I guess we will return to the "old days" not through any sense of nostalgia but simply because the rapid decline in quality is making many products unsuitable for many of us. Now where's my story stick? ;).

Larry Fox
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like they start to drift apart at around 3". I agree that you need to really look hard to find decent tools these days. Howevr, given that they appear to drift apart -- how do you know the old one is correct? I have a Lufkin 25' tape that has this giant magnetic end on it and the result is that it grabs everthing in the tool pouch AND it is pretty much impossible to read anything belw the 1" mark. A complete pos in my opinion and I don't trust it to be accurate to anything less than 3/8"

Chip Lindley
01-22-2011, 11:20 AM
"They" say, that using the same tape measure or rule throughout a project allows everything to come out correctly. No two rules are exactly the same, especially due to the movable inside/outside hooks on the end. It appears Stanley is guilty of wasting ink on that new rule. This surprises me in this day and age where cost-conscious bean counters are the ones who really RULE.

Bill Huber
01-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I would take that new one back and find a better one.

Lowes has them and so does Home Depot.

I have been using the Komelon tapes, they are self-locking, that is when you pull them out they stay until you push the button which is just the opposite of most locking type tapes, Lowes sells them.

george wilson
01-22-2011, 2:04 PM
I have read that an accuracy for tape measures of 3/16" per 6' meets government accuracy standards. I bought a $3.00(or so) tape measure for sale in the grocery store that is quite accurate,and printed better than that Stanley. I think it is 25'. Just made in China. Been using it for several years for household work.

Josh Rudolph
01-22-2011, 2:21 PM
Looks like they start to drift apart at around 3". I agree that you need to really look hard to find decent tools these days. Howevr, given that they appear to drift apart -- how do you know the old one is correct? I have a Lufkin 25' tape that has this giant magnetic end on it and the result is that it grabs everthing in the tool pouch AND it is pretty much impossible to read anything belw the 1" mark. A complete pos in my opinion and I don't trust it to be accurate to anything less than 3/8"

Larry,

I think he was referring to thickness of the lines printed on the blade.

As Bill said, I would take it back.

Bobby O'Neal
01-22-2011, 2:27 PM
Not saying you dont want it to be accurate, but are we really relying on tape measures for highly accurate and consistent measurements? Personally, I dont. So if its a hair off that's ok because I wont use it to measure anything that joinery or a tight fit will rely on. Just my thoughts.

Harvey Pascoe
01-22-2011, 3:49 PM
I suppose it depends on what you're doing. I only use tapes for rough cuts because of the uncertain end fitting, never mind the inconsistencies of the increments. IMO, a tape is not a tool to be used for accuracy.

Dave Lehnert
01-22-2011, 4:07 PM
I almost always use nothing but a tape measure on my projects. I use the same one through the whole project. Some of my smaller tapes are from the dollar store. Never considered it a problem.

johnny means
01-22-2011, 5:55 PM
I don't see the problem. What could the difference between the middle of the line and the edge of the line be? 100ths of an inch.

Rick Potter
01-23-2011, 2:52 AM
Hmmm. Makes you wonder how accurate the stick on tapes, and tapes on saw fences are. Anyone ever actually check one?

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
01-23-2011, 7:59 AM
Hey Karl

I buy tapes by the dozen, and I noticed that the last batch of Stanley 25's will not reach out as far as the old ones either. maybe they are trying to chase you to the Fat Max tapes, but they cost too much for a disposable item and are just too big.

Someday I am going to be a good enough wood worker that I can throw all my tapes away however.

You need a shaper? I know where a 110 is with a steff and I just can't swing it right now or I would buy it myself.

Karl Brogger
01-23-2011, 8:39 AM
Anything that anyone is seeing about the tapes being "off" is seeing an optical illusion. I'm just whining about the sloppiness of the lines and how thick they are. I don't care for the lines on my rule to be wider than the mark I'm making with a pencil.

I buy tapes by the dozen, and I noticed that the last batch of Stanley 25's will not reach out as far as the old ones either. maybe they are trying to chase you to the Fat Max tapes, but they cost too much for a disposable item and are just too big.

I've noticed the extension not being as good as well.

You need a shaper? I know where a 110 is with a steff and I just can't swing it right now or I would buy it myself.

Sure I can always use more stuff, what are the details? What is a "110"?

Jeff Todd
01-23-2011, 9:09 AM
fat max tapes don't extend all the way ever.. about 1 in 5 do for me. also most of time i wont rely on a tape to measure more than 1 board.. if i need 5 boards the same i'm going to set up a stop or a jig or stack the pieces to cut.. even with those tapes they are for rough measurements not looking to get much better than 32nd-64th accuracy out of one.

Karl Brogger
01-23-2011, 9:21 AM
.. even with those tapes they are for rough measurements not looking to get much better than 32nd-64th accuracy out of one.

Whats a 1/64"th?? :D

If I want something to be really accurate, I just don't use the end of the tape. I'll start at 1", or 10" etc then I'm going from one edge of a line to another edge of a line. I don't know how wide that line is, but you could fit about six of them in a 1/16".

Alright, curiosity got the best of me. 1/6 of a 1/16" is .0104167".

Terry Beadle
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I was thinking....(scary huh!). The marking on a tape are not needed as much as a reality check. By that I mean it's good practice to use one tape for a project. As long as you use just the one (which one isn't as important as repeatability ), it should give you the length the project requires.
The length of the project, for example how wide do you need a table top, If you use the "project" tape to measure it, then that's the length you need and the fattness of the marks or adherance to a national standard is not required.

Fat or Thin...Consistancy Wins!
The thinness of the lines is important to fine wood working but not as important to say a deck project. If you use 0.5mm lead in you pencil, and if that leaves a mark of less thickness than the marks on the tape, then always mark in the middle of the tape mark you want or the left edge or right edge, the point being that being consistent with your marking position on the tape marks will do the job.

If you are building a project to a national standard, for example a 3 foot wide cabinet, then you need to do all you can to determine exactly where 3 foot is on the "project" tape irregardless of the markings on the tape and adjust accordingly. How often to you need to do that? For me never.

So the upper tape has fatter markings, from an older guy all I can say is "Thanks!" . It's still very usable for precise measurements with proper techniques.

A lesson I learned was to take a new tape and place the hook over the end of a good Staratte ruler and adjust the hook so that the 6 inch mark hit the ruler mark right on. That's as accurate as a tape needs to be as a good craftsman will fit the stock to the project by hand and eye rather than leaving it to a ruler IMO.

So enough thinking...I scared myself ! Hoot!

Larry Edgerton
01-23-2011, 10:15 AM

SCMI. It has been a while since I looked at it but I ran into the fellow last week and he still had it. Wants 1500. Feeder cost more than that. has two motors, 3 ph and single, carrage.

I will check on it next week.......

Karl Brogger
01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
SCMI. It has been a while since I looked at it but I ran into the fellow last week and he still had it. Wants 1500. Feeder cost more than that. has two motors, 3 ph and single, carrage.

I will check on it next week.......

Cool let me know. My pickup is actually in Florida right now, but after a few weeks if its still available I could probably come get it. I could tow a small trailer with my little truck over there too I guess.

Rick Fisher
01-23-2011, 5:29 PM
I just ordered some Tajima tape measures.. white blades with black print.. I expect they will be higher quality than the Stanley..

http://www.tajimatool.com/products/measuringtapes/gplus/view.php?page=all

I like 16' tapes .. never need anything longer.. These are more expensive than the Stanley.. I have some Tajima Saws and they are really well built.

Pat Barry
01-23-2011, 8:23 PM
I appreciate the thicker lines actually. Makes me less reliant on my reading glasses. And you have a 25 foot rule. For the purpose it was intended (carpentry) I don't see this as an issue.

sunny nic
01-23-2011, 8:25 PM
Anything that anyone is seeing about the tapes being "off" is seeing an optical illusion. I'm just whining about the sloppiness of the lines and how thick they are. I don't care for the lines on my rule to be wider than the mark I'm making with a pencil.

I've noticed the extension not being as good as well.

yup, any other details? Just curious about that.

Karl Brogger
01-23-2011, 8:31 PM
I appreciate the thicker lines actually. Makes me less reliant on my reading glasses. And you have a 25 foot rule. For the purpose it was intended (carpentry) I don't see this as an issue.

Cold enough for you the past few days Pat?

Define carpentry...... I use a 25' mostly because it fits my hand, and more importantly my hand is used to it. I've been using the same model of tape measure since I started doing countertops back in 98'. I'm institutionalized....

Pat Barry
01-23-2011, 9:53 PM
Karl - I was thinking framing, construction and the like. I have a variety but the point about using just one for a project has a caveat - If you use it to measure a dimension, then use the same one to mark the dimension for cutting, and make sure you check the hook from time to time. Seems like when the tape retracts (slams home with spring recoil) the hook can get damaged. Also when you accidentally step on it.
Yeah - its refreshing isn't it? At least there are no mosquito's.

Karl Brogger
01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Karl - I was thinking framing, construction and the like. I have a variety but the point about using just one for a project has a caveat - If you use it to measure a dimension, then use the same one to mark the dimension for cutting, and make sure you check the hook from time to time. Seems like when the tape retracts (slams home with spring recoil) the hook can get damaged. Also when you accidentally step on it.

A bunch of people have mentioned using the same tape. Had to think about it for a bit, but I use four different things for cutting, three tablesaws, and stop on the chop box. Then there's my tape, the guy who works for me's tape, then other miscellaneous machines that have their own devices for measuring, widebelt/jointer/linebore/etc.

The tips can be pretty easily straightened. My most common injury to a tape measure is dropping it then bending the blade, but that can be repaired. I've bent around tips just to dial it in so its accurate.

Yeah - its refreshing isn't it? At least there are no mosquito's.

ugh. I'll take the mosquitoes....... -33F yesterday morning at my house.:mad: