PDA

View Full Version : Opening SVG files

Mike Null
01-22-2011, 8:13 AM
Has anyone had any luck opening svg files with CorelDraw? I'm using Corel X5 and they import /open as mishmash.

Lee DeRaud
01-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Work fine with X4...so far.
You probably jinxed it now.

Mike Null
01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Lee

I was thinking I used to be able to open them with X3 also. There are a couple of other things in X5 I've apparently jinxed as well.

Larry Bratton
01-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Just checked one with X3 and it opened no problem.

Greg Bednar
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Mine imports with no problems.

Bruce Clumpner
01-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I think a work-around is not to take the default file import type, and select eps/ps instead. That way it expects the vector information on the format and brings it in.

Robert Walters
01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
X4 imports SVG no problem.
X4 opens SVG no problem.

Try this SVG file...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Ghostscript_Tiger.svg

Ron Chapellaz
01-22-2011, 1:36 PM
Has anyone had any luck opening svg files with CorelDraw? I'm using Corel X5 and they import /open as mishmash.

Wow Mike, I've got the same results as you. I know I've opened SVG's in V12 and now I can't get them to work in either 12 or X5. Silouettes open fine, so maybe the problem is when there are layers. When I open the file it appears locked. When I import the file, it appears unlocked.
I'm going to the ARA and taking a couple of Corel seminars, so I'll see if I can get an answer to this. I know sometimes I've had to use the specific extension in order for files to open in the past, but even that doesn't work!

Dean Fowell
01-22-2011, 2:12 PM
I open with inskape, INKSKAPE IS FREE

Lee DeRaud
01-22-2011, 2:25 PM
Do you get the same results opening SVG directly vs creating a new/empty drawing and importing it?

Ron Chapellaz
01-22-2011, 2:49 PM
Do you get the same results opening SVG directly vs creating a new/empty drawing and importing it?

Lee, I get this when I open SVG's directly and when I start a new doc and import, and I agree, I think Mike jinked it for me too!

Mike Null
01-23-2011, 5:56 AM
Lee

My result is the same either way.

Here is the tiger.

Ron Chapellaz
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Mike, my results of that same Tiger looks exactly like yours.

Lee DeRaud
01-23-2011, 2:25 PM
Ok, that tiger file glitches for me in X4 as well, but all the other SVGs I have on disc (mostly Inkscape example files and VectorMagic output) work fine.

Just for jollies, I did an 'ungroup all' on the "glitched" version, then removed the artifacts by hand and compared the result to the original in Inkscape. As far as I can tell visually, there is no difference. It looks like the artifacts are isolated orphan nodes that got grouped/connected at some point, forming new and unintended objects. I suspect the fault is with whatever app was used to convert it from the original PostScript to SVG: if I use Inkscape to convert it back to PostScript, Corel opens the result without the artifacts. (Not to mention that I've opened that file before in older versions of Corel, probably from the GhostScript install package.)

Mike Null
01-24-2011, 5:58 AM
The tiger file looks good by comparison to the file I really wanted to open. I think I'll either try one of the free programs or reload X3. I do like X3 better than X5 anyway--with a couple of exceptions.

Mike Null
01-26-2011, 6:24 AM
update.....

I tried opening other svg files in X5 and they worked perfectly. Looks like the file was the problem and not X5.