PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Pierce Davidson
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Being a rank newbie at wood turning/working I'm seeing acronyms that I am not familiar with. I knew what BLO was and thanks to Michael James I now know what MAO is. Now I see "WOP". Can somebody tell me what WOP is and are there other acronyms that I should know? Thanks!

David E Keller
01-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Wipe on Poly... I'm sure there are others, but nothing comes to mind right now.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Pierce - another one you may see is DNA - which stands for denatured alcohol. It is used by a lot of folks to help speed up the green wood drying process.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I am sure you know HF is hollow form and NE is natural edge.

Prashun Patel
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
CA glue = Cyanoacrylate; quick-drying, clear 'superglue' used to fill in voids and stiffen spongy parts of wood.

Don Nurmela
01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Vortex is the insatiable urge to have all things turning whether you need them or not, usually a sucking sound from the wallet is a sign of its onset.

Michael James
01-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Pierce, there's all levels of woodworkers/woodturners here. I would enourage you to check out other areas of SMC for helpful tips and terms as well. Im sure this looks like a steep learning curve if you're new to wood. My suggestion is dont try to learn it all in 1 month cuz it just aint gonna happen. Many of us are our own worst critics, but most of us are here just because it's fun. Take it at your pace, and read, watch videos, read last yrs posts, go to youtube, find a local club if possible. You don't list where you're from, so I cant guess whats there. The lathe has been fascinating "man" for a long time (ladies too) and classic form remains classic form. Power, tools, finishes, and trends change but basically you're sticking sharp metal into quickly spinning wood to make it some form of round. Make sure safety is always your 1st pirority, and having fun your second. You will be astounded at how much you can learn quickly and how willing most of these nice folks are to share their talent, tips and tricks with you. Then all you have to do is practice, practice, practice!
Best of luck!
mj

Scott Lux
01-22-2011, 9:42 AM
I am sure you know HF is hollow form and NE is natural edge.

I thought HF was for Harbor Freight?

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 9:50 AM
Pierce, there have been several "lists" on SMC in the past - I think this one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?56320-List-Of-Acronyms-Updated-4-17-2007&p=569948#post569948)is the most recently updated. Several are not turning related, but hope it helps!

Just noticed that BLM is not on the list - Big Leaf Maple.

Fred Belknap
01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Every so often one comes up I don't know, I try to wait till someone else asks :o:o:D

Roger Chandler
01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Don't forget the infamous "DAMHIKT" Which stands for "Don't ask me how I know this" - as one who uses this acronym usually has made the mistake he or she has been referring to, but does not want to admit it publicly! :eek::eek::D:D:D:rolleyes:

Michael James
01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Pierce, there have been several "lists" on SMC in the past - I think this one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?56320-List-Of-Acronyms-Updated-4-17-2007&p=569948#post569948)is the most recently updated. Several are not turning related, but hope it helps!

Just noticed that BLM is not on the list - Big Leaf Maple.

Nor is DO, Danish oil. Hope this is not a dupe..

David DeCristoforo
01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
MAO??? Mother of All Or.... ooops, no wait. Can't say that here!

David E Keller
01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
MAO=Minwax Antique Oil but I like DD version better.

Pierce Davidson
01-22-2011, 9:30 PM
Thanks guys. This helps a lot.

Michael James
01-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I thought HF was for Harbor Freight?

Yes, it's an ambidexterous term.

Joe Scarfo
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Pierce....

Where are you located? It's not uncommon for newbies to get to know other local turners and woodworkers and start the learning process. I've been helped with stuff as recently as last summer and always ready to help others...

Good Luck
Joe

Pierce Davidson
01-23-2011, 3:16 PM
I'm in St. George, Utah. It is in the far south west corner of the state. I haven't been able to find any other turners or clubs in my area.