PDA

View Full Version : The U.S.S. Blanchard has pulled into dock, BUT.......

Glen Blanchard
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
On Monday, I ordered a G0609X 12" jointer with spiral cutterhead from Grizzly. It shipped from Pennsylvania. Amazingly, it was delievered (to Dallas, Texas) yesterday! Wow. Crazy fast.

In any event, the limited assembly was completed yesterday along with the removal of what seemed like 100 lbs of cosmoline. Here is my concern....

The fence does not seem to be square to the table, but not in the traditional sense. I have adjusted the fence so that it is 90 degree to the table for edge jointing. However, the fence is not square to the table along its long axis. That is, when I place the very tip of the outfeed side of the fence to that it just barely sits over the table, the tip of the infeed side of the fence overlaps the table by 7/10". I realize that this will not effect jointing (either face or edge) but should I take this up with Grizzly? This cannot be adjusted, can it?

John Coloccia
01-21-2011, 10:39 PM
My guess would be that the fence bracket probably has a bunch of play in it. Find where it attaches to the jointer, and maybe see if you can loosen a couple of screws and shift the whole bracket to straighten it out. I'm guessing you've already read through the manual and there's nothing obvious about adjusting that?

Van Huskey
01-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Have you checked the actual flatness of the fence itself. More than one person here has had a twist in their 609 fence and based on what I see in my head reading your post this could be the cause. I keep watching these 609 threads since I am planning to buy one later this spring.

Keith Weber
01-22-2011, 1:06 AM
Bottom line is... it doesn't really matter as far as operation goes. If it bothers you to look at it, though, then I'm sure you could find a way to adjust it.

I'll start by saying that I don't have this jointer, but I do own a couple. Just looking at the pics on the Grizzly website, it appears that the fence mount rides in a groove, so it's not as adjustable as the one on my Northfield. However, if you look at the attached pic. It seems that there's 2 bolts that secure the slider base to the machine (labeled "A"). I'd try loosening those and twist it into parallel before tightening them back down.

If that doesn't get you all the way there, you could remove the two bolts holding that chrome thing on at "B" and putting shims between the chrome thing and the fence.

Anyway... that's what I would do!

Glen Blanchard
01-22-2011, 8:13 AM
Thanks guys. I read John and Vans's posts last night, but didn't see Keith's until I logged in a moment ago. The very first thing I did this morning was go turn the heater up in the shop and look at this fence.

Van - I checked for flatness along the length of the fence, and it is fine. I checked for flatness vertically as well in 5 spots spanning its length - also flat. So (unless I am missing something) there is no twist.

John - As Keith mentioned, there are two bolts securing the fence bracket to the body of the jointer, These pass through holes in the mounting bracket, and I had assumed (uh oh!!) that these holes were not oversized, and as such allowed for no play. After I checked for twist/flatness this morning, I loosened those two bolts. Guess what!! PLAY! I was able to quickly adjust the misalignment out completely in a matter of about 60 seconds. DUH!

Thanks Keith. I didn't see your post until I had resolved the issue, but you were spot on.

David Nelson1
01-22-2011, 8:29 AM
Gotta love this place!!

Van Huskey
01-22-2011, 6:29 PM
Makes me feel better... I think.

Jim Becker
01-23-2011, 3:08 PM
Congratulations on your new wide jointer! You're going to enjoy the versatility it will bring to your shop.