PDA

View Full Version : 1st Thing on a Stick

Kathy Marshall
01-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Box Elder Burl 8 3/4" x 2 3/4" BLO and WOP. First did the pedestal and finial in walnut, then decided I wanted something to bring the reds out more, so I made a set out of paduak and found a tiny scrap of the box elder to turn as a lid.
If I had to do it over again, I think I would make the base of the form narrower and the pedestal and finial taller. The piece of wood I started with was pretty narrow to begin with, about 3 1/4" diameter after roughing, with a wider diameter piece I would have flared out the top a little more.
Overall I'm happy with it, gotta start somewhere.
Had a hard time photographing this one, tried different settings to get the form to show true colors, but then the finial and pedestal looked washed out, with the finial and pedestal showing true colors, the form is too dark. So posted a couple pics with each set of pedestal/finials.

C&Cs welcome
179207 179206
179208 179209
Thanks for looking!

Cathy Schaewe
01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. I keep thinking about a piece like that, but haven't had the guts to attempt it. You have come so far so fast-
I like the pedestal on the bottom ones best, but that's just me.

Did you color the edge, or is that bark?
I really like it, and would be proud to have turned a piece like this!

Dick Mahany
01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Kathy,

Nice work ! The thinness of the walls and excellent finial work are inspirational. Pics are nice.

Regards,

David E Keller
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Great job, Kathy... You're a natural with the 'thing on a stick' forms. I love the shape of the finial tip, and the rim of the main form is wonderfully delicate. Any suggestions from me would be entirely based on preferences... With that said, I would consider making the onion of the finial a little thinner and try to make a nice curve throughout the slender portion of the finial and pedestal. I think you've done a wonderful job with this one, and I'll be looking forward to the next one.

Steve LaFara
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Pretty cool! I like it!

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Kathy - that is really nice! I like that you tried different final/pedestal combinations! Like David mentioned - finial/pedestals are very subjective and mostly just a matter of personal taste. That said...

I like the Paduak combination but find the center ring of the pedestal detracts from the curve and would match the finial much better if it were not there. The Walnut set works well also as far as color but find the lower element of both the finial and pedestal don't match. Would like to see that in order to tie the piece together with a common theme.

Overall - this is very nice work! Photos on the other hand are a constant challenge for all of us - except maybe Ken Hill and a couple of others!

Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Roger Chandler
01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Great for your first pedestal Kathy............that is a unique form as well.........kinda reminds me of an ice cream sundae glass and except for the height of the finial, the red paduk looks as if it could be a cherry on top. That natural edge must have been a real challenge to keep intact. Nice job overall!

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2011, 11:02 PM
That is a great piece Kathy especially for your first. Well done.

Kathy Marshall
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. I keep thinking about a piece like that, but haven't had the guts to attempt it. You have come so far so fast-
I like the pedestal on the bottom ones best, but that's just me.

Did you color the edge, or is that bark?
I really like it, and would be proud to have turned a piece like this!

Thanks Cathy! Judging by the pieces you've posted recently, something like this would probably be a walk in the park for you so give it a shot! The edge is bark.

Kathy,

Nice work ! The thinness of the walls and excellent finial work are inspirational. Pics are nice.

Regards,

Thanks Dick!

Great job, Kathy... You're a natural with the 'thing on a stick' forms. I love the shape of the finial tip, and the rim of the main form is wonderfully delicate. Any suggestions from me would be entirely based on preferences... With that said, I would consider making the onion of the finial a little thinner and try to make a nice curve throughout the slender portion of the finial and pedestal. I think you've done a wonderful job with this one, and I'll be looking forward to the next one.

Thanks David! Still trying to get the finial thing down, getting better on some elements but still need to work on design. I see so many fantastic finial forms posted here, I'm going to have to start printing them out and hanging them in the shop for inspiration.

Kathy - that is really nice! I like that you tried different final/pedestal combinations! Like David mentioned - finial/pedestals are very subjective and mostly just a matter of personal taste. That said...

I like the Paduak combination but find the center ring of the pedestal detracts from the curve and would match the finial much better if it were not there. The Walnut set works well also as far as color but find the lower element of both the finial and pedestal don't match. Would like to see that in order to tie the piece together with a common theme.

Overall - this is very nice work! Photos on the other hand are a constant challenge for all of us - except maybe Ken Hill and a couple of others!

Looking forward to seeing whats next!

Thanks Steve! I also like the paduak combination, but it didn't feel quite right to me, I think the center ring is what was bothering me about it too. I did try to make the elements of the paduak tie in together, especially after I turned the walnut (knew after turning them that they didn't "match").

Great for your first pedestal Kathy............that is a unique form as well.........kinda reminds me of an ice cream sundae glass and except for the height of the finial, the red paduk looks as if it could be a cherry on top. That natural edge must have been a real challenge to keep intact. Nice job overall!

Thanks Roger! I was a little worried about turning the edge and having a piece go flying, but I followed the advice that I've seen posted here and wrapped it in saran wrap then followed that with some blue tape, and everthing held together fine. It also helped when making the final cuts on the inside edge by keeping the flex down so I got nice finish cuts. It did make it a little tougher to judge thickness so the walls aren't quite as thin as I would have liked, although I think they are thin enough.

Ron Stadler
01-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow Kathy, that looks beautiful, think you found your nick. That really is an awesome piece.

Michael James
01-21-2011, 11:37 PM
WOW, you go girl! I make neither sticks nor finials, but you seem to be getting all this stuff down. Very nice job. Personally, I'm a visual learner so pictures, models, examples by the lathe certainly are helpful at this stage of development. Thanks for posting.
Michael

Tim Thiebaut
01-22-2011, 12:04 AM
That is beautiful Kathy! The pieces that have been posted by everyone here lately makes me see how far I have to go...yet so much to look forward to!

Michelle Rich
01-22-2011, 12:11 AM
I think it's a wonder! Real nice piece

Bill Hensley
01-22-2011, 7:25 AM
The total package is great. To me all the proportions just feel right.

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 9:15 AM
Kathy, very nice work on this. You have already received some good comments on the various components, and your self critique is helpful, too. All that said, your tool control and execution is evident here - that is the critical part. One can have all of the design concepts in the world, and if not the ability to carry them out - all is for naught. So, from here, the path is clear!! Great turning and you possess great potential!

Dan Cannon
01-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I've got nothing more to add other than this is beautiful! Impressive and inspiring stuff. Thanks for Sharing Kathy

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Very nice work. Because of the curves, some of the voids in the NE, colors, and my eyesight, I had to study it long and hard to see that it wasn't hand carved at the top with the surface flowing in and out. I was thinking this is REALLY impressive at first.:)

Paul Douglass
01-22-2011, 1:06 PM
I'm with Baxter, I thought the top portion was had carved! Went back and just stared at it a while to figure it out. I can't critic because I can't even come close to it. I do like the red pedestal and finial best, just because it does bring the red out more. I'd like this one even without the finial. Looks like a tulip to me. Beautiful piece to me. Great work.

David DeCristoforo
01-22-2011, 1:20 PM
My first thing on a stick was titled "Muy Basura" and relegated to the trash can. Nice job of keeping the edge intact!

Roland Martin
01-22-2011, 2:14 PM
What a fine piece you've turned, Kathy! Contrary to some, I think I prefer the walnut combination, but that's purely a personal thing. Irregardless, of which combination, this is truly a beautiful piece. Thanks for posting.

Mark Hubl
01-22-2011, 3:17 PM
Very nice. Love the wood and the shape on the cup. Great first effort on the stick theme. I think you are well on your way to making excellent finials and pedestals.