PDA

View Full Version : Candle Holder

Dan Cannon
01-21-2011, 9:52 PM
Nothing special, but this turned out good enough that my wife wants me to make a set of 3 different sizes. Wood is mystery wood out of the bargain bin, finished with BLO and Ren Wax. About 11" tall. Darkest areas were filled with coffee grounds (used Tully's Kona Blend K-cup...sorry, unrelated & off topic gloat about my new Keurig machine) and CA.
C&C always welcome. Thanks for looking!
Dan

David E Keller
01-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Very nice! This is one of my favorite candle stick forms, and you've certainly done it justice. Lovely wood and a great choice on the Kona blend... It's a perfect match.

Dick Mahany
01-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Dan,

I particularly like the consistent form of the shape. Reminds me of geometry class, ( eons ago) The wood is very pretty and I'd like to see pics of the next ones !

Cathy Schaewe
01-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Very nice! This is one of my favorite candle stick forms, and you've certainly done it justice. Lovely wood and a great choice on the Kona blend... It's a perfect match.

And how would you know what coffee is a perfect match??? :confused::eek:;)
ps - I really like this -

David E Keller
01-21-2011, 10:27 PM
And how would you know what coffee is a perfect match??? :confused::eek:;)
ps - I really like this -

I've studied the published works of David D...:D

Cathy Schaewe
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
I've studied the published works of David D...:D

I'm sitting here laughing - which is a good thing to do, since it's -10 wind chill out there. :eek:

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice work Dan! I like your wife's idea of a matching set of 3! Would make for a great grouping! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Really nice holder Dan. I can see why she would want a set.

Mark Hubl
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Nice classic candlestick. A trio will look good.

Scott Hackler
01-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Very, very nice. I love the graceful curve and the very clean lines.

philip labre
01-22-2011, 8:28 AM
Great job, Dan. This style is a favorite of mine.

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 9:06 AM
Excellent piece Dan, and I sure hope you snagged a couple more chunks of that wood as I think the trio idea is fantastic. Of course, we expect to see a nice pic of the group once complete.

Dan Cannon
01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks very much for all the comments everyone! I'll be getting to work on the set as soon as my kiddos allow me back into the shop (could be a while) and will report back when complete.

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Very pretty! The wood is great and seems to fit the form well. I tried roughing one trio out of some apple after seeing some that Wally Dickerman posted. I think they were 7,8, and 9 tall. What are the dimensions on this one?

Dan Cannon
01-22-2011, 1:32 PM
Very pretty! The wood is great and seems to fit the form well. I tried roughing one trio out of some apple after seeing some that Wally Dickerman posted. I think they were 7,8, and 9 tall. What are the dimensions on this one?

I had originally posted that this one is 11", but I just remeasured and it's closer to 10". I was thinking of doing the next two at about 9" and 8". Did you think the 1" difference was enough, or should I be going closer to 8" and 6" for the next two?

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 1:50 PM
I had originally posted that this one is 11", but I just remeasured and it's closer to 10". I was thinking of doing the next two at about 9" and 8". Did you think the 1" difference was enough, or should I be going closer to 8" and 6" for the next two?
Thanks Dan. Sorry I missed that number in your original post!:o I ended up with those three lengths because it "fit" the wood I had. They are only roughed out but look okay I think. If I had gone with 9,7,5 I think the smallest one would have been to short proportionately to the tallest. I didn't have the right length wood to go with 9, 11, 13. At least in colors of apple that matched.

Dan Cannon
01-22-2011, 2:23 PM
Thanks Dan. Sorry I missed that number in your original post!:o I ended up with those three lengths because it "fit" the wood I had. They are only roughed out but look okay I think. If I had gone with 9,7,5 I think the smallest one would have been to short proportionately to the tallest. I didn't have the right length wood to go with 9, 11, 13. At least in colors of apple that matched.

I'm glad you'd missed it, it made me remeasure it and hence possibly change my approach. I'm with you, I'm not sure I want the shortest one to be TOO short. I'll just play around with it a little and try to get the right sizes. If possible, I might just split the difference and try to go with 1 1/2" between each piece. Thanks for the input Baxter. I hope we get to see your apple set soon.
Dan