PDA

View Full Version : OK, Steve... some of my work, well one piece.

Neil Strong
01-21-2011, 8:34 PM
Back in May 2010, Steve wrote
Neil - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

OK, Steve... partly prompted by your recent posting of your nice winged piece, I thought it was about time that I posted a sample of my work, well one piece.

Mostly I make production bowls, along with a few closed forms and the occasional lidded and winged forms.

From time to time I get an invite to exhibit some selected pieces, for which I turn my more sculptural work such as the following piece titled The Inner Life of Trees - I(wing span of 24", 10" tall, made from South Australian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon) and Australian Inland Rosewood (Acacia rhodoxylon).

The mirror is custom made for the piece. I like to exhibit my sculptural pieces on mirrors so that the viewer can readily maximise their view of the piece as they walk about it. I also make my own plinths to individually display each exhibition piece.

Scott Lux
01-21-2011, 8:40 PM
Fantastic. I really like the mirror; it makes perfect sense for a piece like this. And it is a spectacular piece.

Steve Vaughan
01-21-2011, 8:51 PM
Very cool and unique piece. Love the grain and contours and I, too, like that mirror idea for such a piece as this.

Roger Chandler
01-21-2011, 9:00 PM
Very nice turning, Neil. Post another when you can!

Jerry Marcantel
01-21-2011, 9:03 PM
That's absolutely gorgeous.... The finial sets it off... Did it sound like a propeller when you turned it?........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2011, 9:11 PM
That is a beautiful piece. I like the mirror as a display. Finial really does it for this piece.

David E Keller
01-21-2011, 9:27 PM
Very cool, Neil. The size of that piece is pretty amazing, and I love the way you oriented the grain on the wing including the sapwood. I hope you'll post some more, and I think we'd love to see some of your production work.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Neil - that is amazing and well worth the wait! Great looking wood, detail work and I do like your use of the mirror but more than anything - I really like your use of imagination! Excellent!

Please - don't make us wait to see more of your work!

Cathy Schaewe
01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Please - don't make us wait to see more of your work!

Ditto! Can't speak for the rest, but I can always use some inspiration, and it looks like you've got plenty in store!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-21-2011, 10:26 PM
A little larger than the ones Bob Hamilton showed how to make in his video, and a good looking one at that ;-))

Scott Hackler
01-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Thats real nice. You should concider posting more pictures of your other turnings.

Tim Thiebaut
01-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Wow...stunning, that is VERY nice!

Michelle Rich
01-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Very, very nice. More please!

John Keeton
01-22-2011, 8:46 AM
Neil, I love this piece! The obvious lift of the arch is aided and complimented by the additional lift of the beautifully done upper portion and delicate finial. Add me to the list of folks that want to see more of your work.

Mark Hubl
01-22-2011, 3:24 PM
Very nice Neil. The size of the piece really makes a statement.

Roland Martin
01-22-2011, 3:43 PM
That is a lovely and imaginative piece and very well displayed. I've been to a few air shows over the years and can well imagine the sound this made on the lathe. Thanks for posting and hope to see more of your work.

Neil Strong
01-22-2011, 7:44 PM
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look and comment. Much appreciated.

And, yes, these long winged pieces roar when they are up to speed on the lathe. Not unlike a small single prop plane.

They also demand your concentration. I have to keep saying to myself... keep your fingers behind the toolrest... keep your fingers behind the toolrest... keep your fingers behind the toolrest... :D

Kieran Kammerer
01-22-2011, 9:08 PM
Very nice piece Neil. I have always been intrigued by winged boxes. Definitely on my "to try" list

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Impressive! I think I would find that much noise rather intimidating!