PDA

View Full Version : Up Against the Wall, Owner's Manual Writers

Steve H Graham
01-21-2011, 7:20 PM
I used to feel bad about the way the Chinese government abused people. Now I'm considering nominating the guys who write the Rikon owner's manuals. A few years in "reeducation camps" would do them a world of good.

I received my Rikon 25-010 jointer/planer yesterday and started putting it together. The photos in the manual are tiny and dim, and guess what? It's a DIFFERENT MODEL. So I spent hours looking for stuff that wasn't there.

In case anyone else orders one of these things, here are a few tips.

1. There are two dust extraction attachments (big pieces of metal painted flat black). One is a big flat one, and it goes on the left (outfeed) side of the machine. It's for planing only. You have to attach it before you put the outfeed table on. It has four Allen screws in it, and they go into four holes on some brackety doodads mounted on a horizontal bar that runs across the machine, back to front, under the outfeed table. Believe it or not, this is clearer and more accurate than what the manual says. You have to lower the planing table all the way to get the dust thing on. The big open end goes over the blades, face down. The whole attachment swings into the planing area when you're jointing.

2. The second dust thing is a sort of funnel. You don't attach it. You stick it between the planing table and the underside of the planing tunnel, and you raise the table until it holds the funnel in place. Seriously. No screws. You only use the funnel for jointing. The rest of the time, I guess you toss it on the floor. They say it doesn't work, so this may be a good permanent location for it.

3. If you get the mobile base, make sure you put washers immediately inside the cotter pins. It goes like this, starting outside: cotter pins, washers, long flat bars with holes in them, mobile base frame. You can't put the operating pedal on unless you elevate both of the machine's infeed-side feet. Put them on a two-by-four or something.

4. The infeed table has flanges on it that go UNDER the rails on top of the infeed side of the machine. Pry the rails up if you have to (after removing the Allen screws that hold them down). Don't bend them. They should come up with a little effort.

The table also has a big fence support thingamajig projecting from the rear (left as you face the infeed side of the machine), and this will help you tell the infeed table from the outfeed table.

5. There are no self-tapping screws provided for the dust stuff. They are no longer part of the machine. You do not need them.

Sooner or later someone will Google "Rikon 25-010 owner's manual hell suicide firebomb corporate headquarters" at four in the morning. I want this forum post to be waiting, to save them from a long prison term.

tom coleman
01-23-2011, 12:33 PM
In a previous life I wrote tech manuals for computer sales people. My background Liberal Arts and Journalism. My acid test was to have secretaries review manuals and see if they could understand what i was saying before publishing. It worked well.

Jason BrownMT
12-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Overall, I agree completely with Steve. I just have one correction based on the one I have.

For the dust collection, the funnel part attaches to one end of the flat piece mention in the OP. There are two screws to secure them together. The flat piece puts a slot for suction over the blades when planing and under the blades when jointing. The dust collection is the only real weakness. Its just ok in planer mode but is pretty useless in jointer mode.

Jason

glenn bradley
12-21-2011, 7:45 AM
We write a lot of documentation at work and have one rule: bad documentation is worse that no documentation. If there's no doc you can eventually figure it out. Inaccurate or misleading doc wastes more time than having none. We preach security the same way. If people think their security is good, they become casual and get nailed. If they are told about security weaknesses, they remain cautious . . . or don't :rolleyes:.

Matt Kestenbaum
12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear about the poor manual...those are always a real drag. I have a Rikon Bandsaw and suggest you call their tech support line. When I had an issue that the manual was less than helpful with, the VP of Tech Support stayed on the phone with me for a while (15 minutes?)--I had him on speaker as I attempted to replace the drive belt and lower wheel alignment settings. More than made up for the weak publishing.

Curt Harms
12-22-2011, 6:01 AM
Sorry to hear about the poor manual...those are always a real drag. I have a Rikon Bandsaw and suggest you call their tech support line. When I had an issue that the manual was less than helpful with, the VP of Tech Support stayed on the phone with me for a while (15 minutes?)--I had him on speaker as I attempted to replace the drive belt and lower wheel alignment settings. More than made up for the weak publishing.

I don't know how the VP of tech support values his time but the lack of a good manual could get expensive if he has to do that too often.

Matt Kestenbaum
12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I have no idea. Given the number of really lousy manuals I have read, it must really be tough to do it correctly. I own a saw, and hold no company stock so neither Rikon's P/L nor their Balance Sheet are my concern.

I do believe however that the pressure is mounting for machine manufacturers to view their business as a service industry rather than fabrication or import/export. The price points will continue to blur, true innovations harder to come by...what is left is making the customer feel valued, appreciated and going above the competition when there is a problem.

Rod at Rikon did earn my deep appreciation for his EXTREMELY knowledgable, patient help -- as a result I would not hesitate to include Rikon Tools in future purchase decisions, pass on the word of their deep commitment to my use of their product and or my satisfaction with the purchase. I am sure that kind of good will pay back nicely.

For what its worth my calls to Sawstop have always been answered by real live woodworkers who know their products in the most detailed ways imaginable...and because the three calls I have made to them in two years I have only spoken to two different techs, I would guess there are probably only a few people in the department (Darren has been great!). I own another tool from a rising giant in the industry that I am sure is very financially successful: took three motors to get it working, they were terrible about possible return options, the manual is not worth the paper written on, the tech help is terrible (last guy admitted he's not a woodworker at all)....and usually the first thing out of their mouths is "Well, we sell a lot of these and I've never heard that question before!"

George Gyulatyan
12-28-2011, 2:59 PM
I have that same exact J/P. Aside from the dust collection attachment that is completely different than what's in the manual, mine went together pretty smoothly. Although I'll agree the Chinenglish is kind of funny and the quality of the pictures is dismal.

Honestly, if I knew then what I know now, I'd probably not get this particular machine. Table alignment can be a bear, I ended up using some feeler gauges as shims for the right side of the infeed table as it was .008 lower, just enough for the stock to get stuck when jointing. The overall paint and finish is subpar. And the 42" table length (combined infeed/outfeed length) is too limiting.