PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DVD/Book on turning Platters

Jack Gaskins
01-21-2011, 5:58 PM
Anyone know of a good DVD on turning platters. I saw a video on DIY network that looks good but was wanting something more indepth and with designs.

Brodie Brickey
01-21-2011, 8:17 PM
Jack,

I'm not sure anyone is really doing a video on turning platters (for sale) there are some on youtube. The last really good platter turner I saw was James Proffitt at the AAW Symposium in Richmond (2008). It was a great demo, I don't know if the AAW has it recorded for purchase, but I couldn't find anything from a quick google search. He was beading the platter and seeing how thin he could get it.

The most important thing I took away from the demo was to shape the bottom first all the way to finish sanding, before re-chucking and working on the front. Don't remove too much of the center until you've cut your beads for the rim. It was kind of a dance between getting everything the way you wanted it in the right order so the rim didn't flex and cause a break. Some pretty high speeds were also involved (800-1000).

Good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2011, 9:17 PM
Mike Mahoney has a DVD From The Tree To The Table. It shows him making plates. I used the same technique to make platters which worked well. Like Brodie said when starting you need to shape and finish the bottom pretty much before you turn it around.

Ryan Baker
01-21-2011, 11:06 PM
The Mahoney "Heirlooms" DVD also has a good section on turning plates, which is mostly the same thing as platters.

Cathy Schaewe
01-22-2011, 10:17 AM
There's a couple of nice articles in the back issues of the AAW journals, if you're a member. Look in the index under platters.