PDA

View Full Version : Gloat

Jerry Marcantel
01-21-2011, 5:29 PM
Hi folks, I just got back from a 4 day trip Quartzite, Arizona, where a bunch of flintknappers get together each year and knap for almost 2 months. The weather was perfect averaging 80° for the time I was there.
Three years ago I discovered this Ironwood tree, which had been dead at least 50-60 years or more. My poor old body wouldn't let me get it because I hurt pretty bad the last two years, but this year I felt good, so I grabbed it while I could.... It's Desert Ironwood, weighs about 500 pounds, 6 1/2 feet tall, about 24 inches at the burl base, about 12+" at the trunk with a large branch, and has some cracks throughout the now nonexistant pith...The burls are all solid. It looks a little disgusting, but it's going to turn into something nice pretty soon.
The best news is I didn't break my neck getting this one.....
.179172.. 179173179174
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Jon Prouty
01-21-2011, 5:47 PM
Nice - I bet that thing will yield some beautiful pieces. Have fun!!!

Jon

David E Keller
01-21-2011, 6:03 PM
WOW! That's a heck of a find. Although it can be pretty nasty to work with(DUST!!!), desert ironwood is one of the prettiest things around. If you figure out you've got too much of that stuff, maybe we can work something out.

charlie knighton
01-21-2011, 6:38 PM
great find, sounds like yall had a blast napping and looking for wood, glad you are getting around better

Michael James
01-21-2011, 7:13 PM
Excellent snag there amigo, and I'm glad you're back out there with the coyotes!

Jim Burr
01-21-2011, 7:39 PM
Holy rusted metal Batman!! What a great find Jerry...now go make something!!

dan carter
01-21-2011, 7:46 PM
Outstanding, now put on clean filters on your respirator and get after some real beauties.

Tim Thiebaut
01-21-2011, 8:05 PM
That is pretty cool, I am amazed no one else grabbed it all these years just sitting there. And I bet, after sitting out in that hot blazing sun all these years the wood is going to live up to its name and be like iron to turn....sounds like fun to me!

Ron Stadler
01-21-2011, 8:37 PM
Hmmm, Ironwood gloat and warm weather gloat, how disgusting, I'm standing here in 5 inches of snow here in Missouri freezing my bageebeeze off.:(
Sounds like a good find though, never turned it, but sounds wonderful.:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2011, 9:12 PM
That is a gloat. That wood should produce some fine turnings.

Cathy Schaewe
01-21-2011, 10:13 PM
not quite sure what a bageebeeze is, but it's -10 here, with wind chill. 80 degrees sounds like a dream. Good for you, and enjoy the ironwood!

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Now that is a chunk of wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Frank Guerin
01-22-2011, 5:44 PM
Darn, I really had my eye on that wood but evidently did not act fast enough. Not really sure about your flintknappers meaning but I have been trying quite unsuccessfully to make arrow heads for some time now. No one in my area to teach me and the internet only has a gazillion ways.

Jerry Marcantel
01-22-2011, 9:37 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. I haven't decided if I'm going to cut up and turn the base, or cut the base for a natural table base with glass to fit the natural contours about 3-4" larger than the base. phew!! that was a long description, and I'm confused.....
Tim, I have a piece I turned about 1983, which was old then, and did a clean up on it just a month ago, and it turned like it was a piece of walnut. I'm guessing my gouge was sharpened properly....
Frank, if you lived near San Antonio, you would be surrounded by knappers and plenty of rock..... You just live near a beach.... Mud and sand, with no knappers...... Pm me and I'll try to get you some contacts........ Jerry (in Tucson).

Baxter Smith
01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
That is what I would call a unique piece of wood!