PDA

View Full Version : US GPS in Europe

Lee Schierer
01-21-2011, 2:48 PM
I know I will need a new set of maps for my GPS if I take it to England, but will I be able to plug the GPS into the convenience outlet (cigar lighter) in a European made auto? I know I will need an adapter to use the plug in the hotel.

Troy Ahner
01-21-2011, 3:27 PM
No problem with the accesories working in a UK automobile power jacks, they are the same as what we have in the states. Household current is 220v over there. Most chargers; cell phone, GPS, lap-top etc are dual voltage, so you won't need a voltage converter, just a power block so you can plug your US toys into the UK outlet. I have a voltage converter, but it really turned out to be a waste of weight in my suitcase. It was easier to buy a beard trimmer for me and a hair drier for the wife at the local Asda or Tesco (think Wal*Mart and K-Mart). Only accessory we had that required 110volts were the kids Nintendo DS chargers. Luckily where we were staying there was a shaver outlet that had 110 and 220 v. (Kind of funny to find a fully clothed child playing pokemon in the bath tub!)

Matt Meiser
01-21-2011, 3:32 PM
Most chargers; cell phone, GPS, lap-top etc are dual voltage, so you won't need a voltage converter, just a power block so you can plug your US toys into the UK outlet.

Make sure you check though. I did a project in the UK several years ago. The specially-configured PC that a vendor shipped had a 120/220 switch on the power supply. Plant IT forgot to switch the switch and *poof*. One of a few reasons why my 2 week work trip turned into a 2 week, all-expenses paid vacation with daily visits to a manufacturing plant.

Orion Henderson
01-21-2011, 3:56 PM
car cigarette lighters are the same everywhere (as far as I know). I used my Garmin in England in December.

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-21-2011, 6:48 PM
I used my Garmin in Italy and germany - no problem. Same sigaret adapter. You just need a maps.
Ed.

Graham Wintersgill
01-22-2011, 1:12 PM
Lee

Dependin how much new maps are you may be just as cheap buying a GPS in the UK. Looking at the Asda website and some others they are available for 50 GBP which is 80 dollars.

Just a thought

Graham

Michael Weber
01-22-2011, 5:47 PM
Leave the GPS at home. Being lost in England is half the fun!

sunny nic
01-23-2011, 8:30 PM
Being lost in England is half the fun!
It must be amazing experience.

Michael Weber
01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
If you aren't where you were going in England, you're probably somewhere just as good. lol Some of our fondest vacation memories are on a road accidently taken or in a village accidently arrived at.