PDA

View Full Version : Long Story - But a Gloat Anyway

Ken Salisbury
01-12-2005, 9:09 AM
I have been negotiating with 4 different stores on purchasing a 42" HDTV. I had decided on the Sony Grand Vega LCD Version. After lots of hagling I managed to purchase one from HH Gregg on Monday. I declined delivery in order to save $45. They loaded the TV and a stand I purchased into my truck and home I went.

I had to wait until my SIL and GS got home so they could handle the unloading and assembly of the stand. After they got the stand assembled(a real substantial unit, extremely heavy with 3 heavy glass shelves) they brought the TV in. As soon as they raised the top off of the box I noticed the TV was not covered with any protective material like plastic bagging, etc. I figured they must have checked it before they brought it out to be loaded. We placed the unit on the stand, went back to the box and lo and behold, No manual was found and the remote control was loose in the bottom of the very large box without being in the normal packaging and already had the batteries installed. The accessory box had been opened and was completely empty.

Needless to say I was very suspicious and bent out of shape. I figured one of two things happened, either they sold me a returned item or a display item.

By this time it is 7pm with no supper, I get in the truck and drive 11 miles to the store. I get madder and madder as the minutes go buy. By the time I arrive at the store I am really "ripe". I confronted the store manager and expessed my discontent as politely as I could (really hard to do in my condition). He immediately agreed that I had either gotten a returned unit or a display unit but said he couldn't understand how that could have happened.

Without my insistence he said he would replace it with a new unit which he had to get from the HH Gregg warehouse in Atlanta since the store had no more in stock. He said he would have it in the morning, would call and give me a time window for delivery and another call when the truck was on the way. At this time I am sceptical as how they are going to get a new one all the way from Atlanta the next morning. But what the heck could I do except wait and see

The next moning at 7:00 am I get a call saying the TV would be delivered some time between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. --- COOL ---. At exactly 10:00 the delivery people called and said they would arrive shortly. Ten minutes later they were knocking on the door.

They unpacked the completely sealed box, removed the old TV, installed the new one on the stand. I hooked up my DVD player to it to give it a check before they left. Everything was fine.

I managed to get the first set hooked up and running the night before even without any manual. I noticed the new one had an even better picture than the previous one (which I thought was pretty darn good) which convinced me the first one was probably a returned item.

Mistakes can be made and the best part of this whole episode was that I didn't have to threaten to burn the store down to get resolution :)

The attached photos do not do justice to the quality of the TV picture. I watched a basketball game last night and a DVD (Windtalkers) and to say the least I was very satisfied with it.

Michael Stafford
01-12-2005, 9:45 AM
Glad it worked out well for you. :D This is the kind of customer service that entices you to do additional business with the store. You have to believe the first TV was sent out by mistake. By any chance, Ken when you went back to the store to complain were you wearing a Wal-Mart bag??? :p :eek: If you were I would do anything to make you happy and get you out of the store... :p :D

Ken Salisbury
01-12-2005, 10:22 AM
By any chance, Ken when you went back to the store to complain were you wearing a Wal-Mart bag??? :p :eek: If you were I would do anything to make you happy and get you out of the store... :p :D
:D :D Actually I put on an NRA T Shirt before going back :) :)

Ted Shrader
01-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Ken -

Happy to hear the good results of the story. The customer service was as it should have been. I'm sure you and your friends (locally) will be return customers.

Ted

ps - Did you deliberately wait until the Alabama?Arkansas score was on the scroll at the bottom? :)

Michael Stafford
01-12-2005, 10:45 AM
:D :D Actually I put on an NRA T Shirt before going back :) :)

That'll work too!!! :eek: :D :D

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Glad things worked out for you, Ken. Gues you'll be in front of the new TV instead of in the shop. Don't let the tools get lonely.

Tim Morton
01-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Nice TV...I want one!!! Just in time to catch some great NFL action this weekend :D

Bob Hovde
01-13-2005, 9:56 AM
Ken,

I'll be over for the Super Bowl!

Bob

Kurt Aebi
01-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Ken,

I am glad things worked out okay for you on this deal. I'll bet the NRA sirt did the trick, it's a shame you didn't have my Ted Nugent United Sportsmen of America hat to go along with it! lol!

Anyhooo! I see that my Univ of Pittsburgh women did well as did the men from 'Bama! Go Panthers and Roll Tide!

Jim Becker
01-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear you you had the issue with getting a "new and pristine" system, but I have to tell you, you're gonna' love having your new toy. One of the first "real" watching I did with ours early last year was the Super Bowl. I don't normally watch sports or general TV even for that matter, but High Def is absolutely outstanding with programing such as sports and documentaries. Being able to identify individual blades of grass and the sparkle on the helmets is an incredible experience. Enjoy!