PDA

View Full Version : Laminate a router table

Al Bacon
01-21-2011, 6:14 AM
I am making a new router table and have received the plans for Norm's Deluxe Router Station. In the video Norm is laminating the top on one side only. I have been told in the past that you always laminated both sides because it could de-laminate if you didn't.

Which way should I go?

Thanks

Al

Jay Maiers
01-21-2011, 7:10 AM
I don't think that it will de-laminate. It can, however, warp over time. If you laminate MDF on one side, that laminate blocks moisture. The other side is free to absorb moisture and will grow, resulting in one side that's longer than the other (warp).

This mostly applies to free-floating pieces, or stuff that's not supported really well. IE: a door If you're talking counter tops that are well secured to the frame or other substrate, it's probably not such a big deal. I haven't checked the plans for his table, but I'd bet this is the case.

frank shic
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
i laminated just side over a plywood core and i haven't noticed any warpage for the past 7 years.

John TenEyck
01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Mine is two pieces of MDF with laminate only on the top and edges. Hasn't warped.

Gene Waara
01-21-2011, 2:40 PM
I don't think that it will de-laminate. It can, however, warp over time. If you laminate MDF on one side, that laminate blocks moisture. I recently built a router table extension for my table saw. I laminated two pieces of 3/4 baltic birch and put a plastic laminate on both sides. I used laminate left over from another project and had just enough for both sides so figured why not? I also put a shellac on the edges. It didn't requqire a lot of additonal effort to protect against possible warpage and I felt it was worth the additional time given all the other work I out into the table.