View Full Version : acid brushes

Michael MacDonald
01-21-2011, 12:27 AM
why is an acid brush called that? I rarely use them to spread acid. Make that never.

Jim Heffner
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
I think that "acid brushes" are called that because of their original usage, that is to spread
the acid soldering flux on pipes and fitting that will be soldered.

Tony Bilello
01-21-2011, 1:01 AM
I think that "acid brushes" are called that because of their original usage, that is to spread

That's what I heard - from a guy that worked in a radiator shop.

Scott Hildenbrand
01-21-2011, 1:10 AM
Jim is quite right. They are used to spread flux for sweating joints for copper fittings, or anything else which needs soldered.

Tom Hammond
01-21-2011, 5:38 AM
That's why you find them in the plumbing section.

Michael MacDonald
01-21-2011, 8:44 AM
now I can rest easy. didn't know I would find them in the plumbing section... I will look there. My HD used to carry a small set in the paint, but they have been discontinued there. I bet they just moved them.

Gerald Senburn
01-21-2011, 8:59 AM
HD/Lowes/Ace can be ludicrously expensive, I think Lowes was $6 for four. You can get 144 for $20 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OUXAAI

The only issue I've had with these is that they're a little loose on the bristles, so I give them a quick crimp with plyers.

Dan Friedrichs
01-21-2011, 9:57 AM
The Harbor Freight ones aren't bad, either... (although they are a little thin on the bristles)

Cary Falk
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I got a pack of 36 at HF for around $3.

Ralph Okonieski
01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
The Woodworking show (Columbus, Ohio) is generally where I try to pick up some. Normally I pick up a pack of 50 (not sure how many) for 6 or 7 dollars. I think the vendor is PeachTree?

Not affiliated with the woodworking show or any of the vendors; just like to browse and pick up little stuff.

John M Wilson
01-21-2011, 1:01 PM
Rockler has some in their outlet section right now ... 2 packages of 48 brushes for $12.98.

I've got some -- Rockler advertises them as disposable, but if I act quick & wash them out before the glue dries, I can get several uses out of each brush.

Chris Mahmood
01-21-2011, 1:15 PM
HD/Lowes/Ace can be ludicrously expensive, I think Lowes was $6 for four. You can get 144 for $20 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OUXAAI

I just bought 144 US made ones for $6.29 from ENCO, http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-4943&PMPXNO=945145&PARTPG=INLMK3
Use promo codes DSEDJ for 10% off and FSEDJ for free shipping.

Van Huskey
01-21-2011, 2:22 PM

Exactly. My father was a HVAC contractor but also did copper work. He did lots of copper gutter (soldered) and bought acid brushes by the case. This was back in the day when an average middle class guy could afford copper gutters. Now people buiding McMansions cringe at the cost.

Cody Colston
01-21-2011, 2:38 PM
Rockler has some in their outlet section right now ... 2 packages of 48 brushes for $12.98.

I've got some -- Rockler advertises them as disposable, but if I act quick & wash them out before the glue dries, I can get several uses out of each brush.

Actually, if you soak the bristles in water overnight, dried PVA glue will wash right out of them. There was a discussion about this on another forum so I did a little experiment for myself. I let TBIII dry on an acid brush for two days, then stuck it in a plastic container with enough water to cover the bristles. The next day, the waterproof TBIII washed right out.

Generally, I toss mine after use because they aren't worth washing IMHO. I just thought I'd bring it up for the more frugal on the forum. :)

lamar bailey
01-21-2011, 8:56 PM
Thanks for the ENCO hookup.

Jim Rimmer
01-21-2011, 9:30 PM

I have a plastic drink cup half full of water in my shop and I drop my brush in it when I'm done and leave it. Glue rinses out and i get a lot of uses from one brush.

Dave Lehnert
01-22-2011, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the Enco link. USA made at a good price.

I have been using this from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=48479&cat=1,110,42967&ap=1

Peter Quinn
01-22-2011, 7:57 PM
My grandfather was a plumber, and I always knew them as "flux brushes". I think he pretty much used the same one for 20 years at a time. It went from container to container, just kept getting nastier looking but seemed to work better once well worn in. For wood working I used to chuck them after each use, got used to doing that at work where we get them by the case (12 boxes of 200 per case or something like that). Well, the first time I bought a box myself and started flying through them I figured out it was better to wash them after each use than throw money away. A quick soak in a small cup of water then a quick rinse keeps them going for numerous glue sessions. It is good to know when to chuck them though, as they do start breaking up at a certain point.

I like to give them a quick hair cut with a sharp chisel for glue usage, They are just about perfect as delivered for spreading flux paste all over copper, and they are just about perfect as delivered for spreading glue all over wood, but I don't really like getting glue ALl over my wood, I prefer it goes where I'd like it to go, A quick hair cut can turn a moppy acid brush into a precision glue applicator quick.

Curt Harms
01-23-2011, 9:28 AM
He cut the bristles so they were about 1/2" long and wrapped tape around the ferrule(?-metal part that holds the bristles) so it didn't rust when left in water. The shorter bristles are easier to control and easier to get the water out of when removing from the can to spread glue.