PDA

View Full Version : Most neander project yet is finished

James Scheffler
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Plenty of electrons were used to build this radiator cover, but it has been my most neander project to date. I used hand planes for a lot of the jointing and thicknessing tasks, and for flattening the top panel. All smoothing was done with hand planes (including the one in my avatar that I made) and my No. 80 cabinet scraper. The stiles at the front corners were mitered so that the quartersawn face would show on both the front and side. After roughly cutting the miters, I refined them using a shooting board I made.

I liked playing around with the ray patterns in the quartersawn oak and kind of using that in the design. I wish they would show up better in the pictures.

Thanks to everyone who provided inspiration and answered my questions along the way!

Jim S.

Roy Wall
01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
James,

Looks very good.....nice tight joinery! I can see enough of the qtr sawn oak to tell it is excellent -- great work and design.......

Rick Erickson
01-21-2011, 6:45 AM
Very nice work James. She's a beauty.

Chris Griggs
01-21-2011, 8:13 AM
Looks Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

James Scheffler
01-21-2011, 6:13 PM
Thanks, everyone. It was a pretty simple project, but it's solid and I'll be doing bigger and better things at some point. Next up are some very utilitarian shop projects, maybe including a plane till.

Jim

Peter Pedisich
01-21-2011, 6:40 PM
james, that looks very authentic, great job.