PDA

View Full Version : Good source for new dividers?

Bob Jones
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
I am surprised that Lee Valley and Tools for working Wood do not carry any dividers that are for joinery. I see the Starretts at LN and CS. Are there any other good options out there? I don't want to spend a bunch and I don't want to go to ebay for a precision instrument. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

greg Forster
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
If you want something precision and very inexpensive, an office supply like "Staples" , around $16.00 for a set of three good enough for drafting- thats what I bought to use in a job site office. But, if you are looking for something for laying out joinery, either "Harbor Freight" or Ebay is plenty good and what you buy from Ebay often has "character", which makes the tool enjoyable even when it is just on the work-bench- not doing a thing

Sam Fan
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Lee Valley does carry dividers, but they're hidden under Calipers, under Lee Valley Calipers.
I have a non-black (i.e. silver) version of the 6" version from Di Legno Supply. Nicely made with the quick release nut, but I sharpened them up a bit before using.

Joel Moskowitz
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I am surprised that Lee Valley and Tools for working Wood do not carry any dividers that are for joinery. I see the Starretts at LN and CS. Are there any other good options out there? I don't want to spend a bunch and I don't want to go to ebay for a precision instrument. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

Starrett makes dozens of different models of dividers. We can custom order anything they make for you - takes about a week - not a big deal we do it all them time.

joel
tools for working wood

Andy Margeson
01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Woodcraft has a caliper and divider set on sale for half price right now. I don't know anything about them.

Bob Jones
01-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks Joel, I will check that out.

Joel Goodman
01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Craftsman Studio has the 6" Starrett for $44 (free shipping if the order is $75 or more) -- Lee Valley has 8" made in France for about 1/2 the price. I have some from the local art store that work OK but I should have held out for something better!

Brander Roullett
01-21-2011, 12:59 AM
There is a set of dividers that I got at Harbor Freight that had a ring for a pencil that I was able to pry off easily (cheap weld) and it turned into a very nice sturdy compass/dividers that I use for laying out carving patterns like Peter Follansbee. It was very inexpensive, and the dividers are quite sturdy and decently made for the price.

Johnny Kleso
01-21-2011, 1:14 AM
I have several sets I bought most @eBay
http://business.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=divider&_sacat=12582&_odkw=&_osacat=12582&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I bought a lot of tools as a machinist and always listened to the Jurneymen and bought USA B&S or Starrett and not I see the prices for these I could not help buy stock up..
Just make sure they are like new and shiny and I like the round legs better than the flat..

This type here is the round legs
http://i.ebayimg.com/19/!B-7C0IwBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEzJV!tFsrBM-DoUDMMQ~~_3.JPG

PS: this is not a precision instrument it is a about as simple as tools get..
PPS: let me add I do understand what your talking about but I guess after splitting frog hairs for years my idea of presision might be different than the norm... :)

dave andrews
01-21-2011, 6:36 AM
I like the Browne and Sharpe from amazon at 16 for the 6 inch. I also ordered the Mitutoyo At 15 which are fine but don't seem as nice to me.

Rob Young
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Enco has 4" and 6" dividers (import) quite cheap. I've bought a couple and other than needing their points filed sharp, the were well worth the $4 each I paid for them. Picked them up during a free-shipping offer when I also ordered a granite plate for cheap.

Jim Koepke
01-21-2011, 1:46 PM
Search ebay for > drafting set < there are a lot of good ones available cheap.

Most of the sets usually had at least 2 pair of dividers and some had spare parts to convert the pencil lead compasses to dividers.

Some of the parts may not be something you can use as is, but the old inking compasses could be modified into an extra pair of dividers. It will likely cost less than what a new pair of dividers will run you.

I used to buy them at flea markets. I have a few around with no idea where they are.

I also have a bunch of dividers that have been accumulated over the years.

jtk

Erik France
01-21-2011, 2:50 PM
If you don't need them very big, drafting sets are a good source. I prefer to change out a lead for a second point and use a compass. I like having the stability of the screw adjuster to retain the settings. I have a Staedler set from college that has a quick adjustable compass and an extension arm. The quick adjust sure is a nice luxury.

David Weaver
01-21-2011, 4:06 PM
Echo two opinions on here:
1) buy them used, but a big mixed lot of them with other machinist tools if you can and you think you'll have use for calipers, etc, in the future.
2) if you don't have the patience for that, check drafting supply or buy off brand ones - as long as they stay set and have points, they are fine.

John Coloccia
01-21-2011, 4:41 PM
This is one of those cases where knowing your application, I would say that practically anything will work so long as they're not broken to the point of flexing, Even if the points were broken off, you could simply file new points. All you're ever going to do with them is march off dovetails, or possibly use them one day to get evenly spaced hole. Very simple operations.

The one thing I would suggest, though, is get a set with a split collet for the adjustment mechanism. That will allow you to quickly set them approximately where you need to be, and then fine tune it with the knob. It's a creature comfort that makes all the difference in the world if you use them a lot.

Robert Culver
01-21-2011, 7:04 PM
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/ledin_calipers.htm I have a couple pairs of thes in different sizes there really nice I had to wait a bit because they were on back order but im glad I did you might want to sharpen them up a bit but over all great quality

Tony Zaffuto
01-21-2011, 7:25 PM
Traditional Woodworker has them, has both German mfg. (Scala, if I remember correctly) and a Chinese brand.

Jim Koepke
01-21-2011, 8:13 PM
I have always liked the new one at Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=63134&cat=2,40725,45454

jtk

george wilson
01-21-2011, 8:20 PM
I wouldn't think of buying new calipers. There are many,and much better old time quality,to be found on Ebay,in pawn shops,etc. My favorites are the "Fay leg" Starretts. They have square section legs(not flat),and are probably an earlier style of caliper. The best calipers from Starrett also have split nut thumb wheels. You just squeeze them open,and slide them way out or way in to about where you need to set them. Saves a lot of time from twisting the plain thumbscrews.

Bob Jones
01-21-2011, 9:02 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I own a pair of the ones that traditional woodworker sells. It is nice, I just want to investigate other options. I am watching eBay now, and looking through the new starrett options. Thanks!

John Coloccia
01-21-2011, 9:21 PM
Ah...Traditional Woodworker. THAT'S where I got mine from. I have several kicking around (no Starretts, though), but I have one set that is very nice, with square legs and a split nut that I got very cheap. I've been going nuts looking for them so I could recommend them. I'm pretty sure it's the TraditionalWoodworker one now that I see them. Does yours have the split nut too, Bob? These aren't as smooth as the Starretts, but they're very similar in design.

Shoot, George... All I find in the shops around here is junk. I'm always a little jealous of the gems people are able to find. I hadn't thought of checking e-bay for things like dividers. I really need to start doing that!

Bob Jones
01-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah, mine have the split nuts. I just bought some that are larger than I want for most tasks, so I am considering buying some smaller ones.

Bob Warfield
01-22-2011, 1:13 AM
I agree with George 100%. I own probably 6 or more in various sizes and didn't pay more than about $5.00 each for them. Just about any antique store usually has at least a pair or 2.
Good Luck,
Bob Warfield

Johnny Kleso
01-22-2011, 4:12 AM
The ones George likes are my 2dn favorites and are really nice too..
Whats nice about eBayif you buy lots is you can get some extra calipers you can use for turning..

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-22-2011, 8:26 PM
FWIW, not as nice as old ones, but a few years ago I bought an "Empire" brand square leg divider at Sears for cheap with a gift card. it's got square legs and the split nut for quick rough setting; I sharpened it up (although it came came workably sharp) and it's work quite well for counting off dovetails, marking arcs, and scribing along walls for a while now. They still have 'em at Sears. It's the 2792 model from this page: http://www.empirelevel.com/specialty_tools/precision_tools/measuring_tools/

george wilson
01-25-2011, 11:35 PM
The square leg calipers in the picture aren't like the old Starretts. Mine are gracefully tapered all the way down the legs,and the flat surfaces are actually a bit convex. The full length taper means you can adjust the tips of the dividers closer together than you can with untapered square legs.

Another reason to buy old high grade calipers is that they will be made of proper tool steel,properly tempered. I'll bet a lot of the new stuff isn't. Since old machinist's dividers were made for scribing lines on steel,they have to be harder than mild steel.

Much of the time you'll find that old,used dividers are sharpened so that the 2 legs are of somewhat different length. This is so that you can hang the longer leg off the side of a block of steel,and scribe a line parallel to the edge with the shorter leg. The 1 leg is usually about 1/8" shorter than the other. You can file the longer leg back to match the shorter leg if this bothers you. The shorter leg only becomes a little awkward if you are drawing small circles.

Johnny Kleso
01-26-2011, 3:07 PM
I think this is the type George is talking about..

george wilson
01-26-2011, 6:11 PM
You got it right,Johnny. I should get off my duff and make pictures. Just had eye surgery,though,and I start getting dizzy if I wander around too much.

John Coloccia
01-26-2011, 6:45 PM
I think those are called "Fays" Johnny.

So soon, George? I thought that was later this year. How are you doing?

george wilson
01-26-2011, 8:03 PM
I got my non dominant eye done on Monday. I'm seeing better by now,but got dizzy and out of sorts going to the store too soon. It's going to be less fun getting my dominant eye done next week. I already felt as if I couldn't somehow comprehend what I was seeing with my good eye. It takes getting used to.

Those are Fay leg,as you said. If you want,I can pick up some for you next time I see them. I see lots of good calipers at the Cabin Fever Expo,but didn't go this year.

John Coloccia
01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
If you find some dirt cheap I wouldn't mind a couple. Maybe $10 each, or something like that. I have enough other calipers that I really don't actually need anymore, but I'm always game for cheap Starrett stuff. I just picked up a "cosmetic second" 36" rule for $125. It took a couple of minutes to find the imperfection. It's ruled 16R. One of the heavy duty ones. I may pick up a 5R 36", flexible for $90 too if I can't control myself. Check out ebay seller "barryfrombarre". He has a lot of the cosmetic seconds. Starrett doesn't do that anymore, apparently. Anyhow, I met him at the auto expo in W. Springfield, MA last weekend to pick up my rule. Great guy.

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. I can live with George Wilson being better than I'll ever be, but it would tick me off to no end to have a blind George Wilson that can still blow me away!

Bob Jones
01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I got more helpful info than I hoped for. I think I will watch eBay for a while and see what comes up.
George, I hope your eyes get better soon.

george wilson
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I could call myself Blind Lemon Wilson.

Johnny Kleso
01-27-2011, 3:13 AM
There are four pairs of 2" long legs (babys) Brown & Sharpe NOS on eBay right now for $8 or $9 BIN I think it was about $13 with shipping

Use the link I posted on 1st page of this thread and go to 2nd page ..

PS: square legs not flays

Jim Paulson
01-27-2011, 7:36 AM
Heh Bob,

What size dividers are you looking for?

Jim

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I learned more in this thread than I would have expected! This place is great.

I certainly didn't mean to say the empire dividers where as good as the old ones, and hope I didn't make it sound that way! I just threw them out there because I got them very cheaply, and it seems like there's a Sears pretty much everywhere. Obviously not the ideal tool...

One of these days, I need to pick up a nicer pair of dividers; there's just so much other stuff I need...

it's one of the things I miss about living with my folks, my dad had nice tools I could use. I guess that was a while ago now.

I actually used them a bunch for scribing steel yesterday; so far, they've held up a whole lot better than I thought they would.

Sorry, I'll stop interjecting now.

george wilson
01-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Dividers were never real expensive tools,comparatively speaking. I found several for a friend last year at the Cabin Fever Expo in the $10.00-$15.00 range,from 4" to 6" long. All were the best old makers. Starrett,B&S,and Lufkin (who used to make absolutely first rate tools). It depends upon the dealer,what you have to pay for the same items. I only want the ones that were never allowed to get rusty or abused.

Now,all you have to do to get these prices,is to buy gas and food,pay for your hotel room,and you can save probably $5.00-$10.00 off of retail for new,inferior stuff!!!

I never buy much stuff anymore because I already have it. Generally,I am reduced to finding things for friends to get my shopping jollies.

Steve Schoene
01-28-2011, 4:55 AM
I've never understood the attraction for that shape, with the curves. The rationale is supposed to be one hand use, but I've never had a problem with using the straight leg counterparts of those one handed. I've used them more for navigation than in the shop, though.

george wilson
01-28-2011, 7:44 AM
Possibly designed for use with gloves. Even in WWII many ships still operated with open bridges. Maybe the navigation room wasn't heated?

John Coloccia
01-28-2011, 8:05 AM
I never buy much stuff anymore because I already have it. Generally,I am reduced to finding things for friends to get my shopping jollies.

You know what I'm really looking for is a 36" rule marked 16R, 5R or 7R (something with 100s). Not the heavy duty one (I have one of those) but one of the thinner ones. I think the "spring tempered" is what I'm looking for, but I could also maybe use the "semi-flexible" or "flexible". That wouldn't be my first choice, though.

I'm also looking for a nice hook rule, 6".

I don't care if it's old Starrett or not as long as it's accurate :) Happy shopping!

george wilson
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
It seems surprising how much rules cost (except the ones I have made,of course:)).

David Weaver
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Is there anything in a tinner's rule marked like that?

george wilson
01-28-2011, 1:08 PM
I don't understand your question,David.

John Coloccia
01-28-2011, 1:32 PM
I don't understand your question,David.

He's talk about sheet metal rules. Starrett still makes a 36" spring tempered with 7R ruling (though I would prefer 16R or 5R). I just don't want to pay $150 for it if George's eagle eyes (eye?) can find one cheaper :) They make flexible ones like I like, but they're only 3/4" thick and more flexible than I like.

David: the problem I've found with off brand, and even some name brand rules, is that when they get down 1/100ths graduations, they're often not accurate. You would think it's trivial to make them accurate, but they're messed up. I have a little pocket Starrett that I carry with me when I'm out and about looking for things, and it's amazing how many I see that are off a little. It's not a big deal, but off a little here and off a little there, and I'm not perfect either, so suddenly I'm not hitting the 1/64" accuracy that I do really absolutely have to have.

george wilson
01-28-2011, 1:41 PM
John,I might could pick up some dividers for you,but I'd be afraid to be somewhere,and not be able to get in touch with you,and spend more than you might like to pay for a rule. I get dividers for $10-$15.00,but a rule might be too risky if I don't know if you have already found one.

harry strasil
01-28-2011, 5:20 PM
John, try Peachtree Woodworking for rules, dividers, compasses etc, I got some SS 6 inch rules and a hook rule from them because I wanted a rule with no Mutrick measurements on them and I am well pleased.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_products.htm

Johnny Kleso
01-29-2011, 6:39 AM
John have you checked out the rules Enco sells?
I had bught a few 6" and 12" flex rules 5-10 years ago and they were pretty good IMHO

Bob Strawn
01-29-2011, 1:52 PM
Thanks!

http://toolmakingart.com/images/leather/Cutting%20Divider/Bit%20in%20divider%202.JPG

The Harbor F. dividers are fairly good. I wrote up a modification on them (http://toolmakingart.com/2009/12/22/multi-functional-divider/) that makes them even more versitile.

Bob

John Coloccia
01-29-2011, 2:01 PM
re: enco rules

If I could figure out how thick they are, I would pick up a SPI. I'm also not sure if it's spring tempered. If it show up and it's inaccurate, I can just send it back, I guess. I already have a heavy duty rule. The heavy duty rule is nice but needs to be used resting on it's edge or you can't get an accurate read due to parallax. I need a thinner, spring tempered rule for general layout and alignment work, but I don't want the flexible one as they're too floppy.