PDA

View Full Version : Searching - No Disrespect intended

Prashun Patel
01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I've asked this q to a couple of the moderators, but haven't gotten an answer yet...

How do I search for posts made by a particular user. If I type my name in the Advanced Search screen, it only shows selected posts? I can't figure out the pattern.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Or has this already been discussed? I can't find that thread if so...

Thanks in advance.

Edit: On second thought, I think I DO see a pattern. I can't search the posts I make from work - only the ones I make from my home pc. Any ideas why that is?

- prashun

glenn bradley
01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I clicked Advanced Search. Entered my exact name, entered a search string for a very old and obscure word in a thread title, selected Search Titles Only and it found it amazingly fast. I may have to finally take back all the garbage I have been spewing about vBulletin's poor search engine. Can you clarify what you are exactly entering and what the unexpected part of the result is?

I'll try again and use your name, Search Entire Posts and the word "intended" . . . I got this:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Prashun,

Try this.....look up the member in the Member list.......select their name and view their profile.........under the profile, you should see down the left side among other things....."Find all posts" ....and "Find all started threads". You can also do the same thing by clicking on their name in post they made in a thread.

Prashun Patel
01-21-2011, 8:40 AM
Ken, your method worked. I see what's happening. It has nothing to do with the pc I'm searching from. When searching for a user's posts in the Advanced Search screen, it returns only the threads started by that user (at least that's the way it works for me). I don't get results for threads that I posted to, but did not start.

However, when I search thru the user profile, I am able to do it. I'll just do it that way from now on.
Personally, I dislike the Google search for SMC. It's too comprehensive. Just my opinion.

Derek Gilmer
01-21-2011, 9:02 AM
If you go to Search Single Content tab on advanced search you can search for all posts or all new threads by a user. Under the default Search Multiple Content Types tab on advanced search it does seem to do threads only.

Prashun Patel
01-21-2011, 9:19 AM
Booyah, Derek!
I didn't realize I was defaulting to the Multiple Content tab. I clicked on the Single, saved my prefs, and I'm back in action like before. Thanks so much!!!

Brian Tymchak
01-21-2011, 9:43 AM
If you go to Search Single Content tab on advanced search you can search for all posts or all new threads by a user. Under the default Search Multiple Content Types tab on advanced search it does seem to do threads only.

Good to know. I didn't realize that either. Thanks for posting the info!

Derek Gilmer
01-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Well there is my good deed for the day. I can resume my previously scheduled jerk-hood :)