PDA

View Full Version : Leveling wheeled caster alternative, air lifts...

Bruce Seidner
01-20-2011, 9:25 PM
I have never been totally happy with locking casters under machine stands.

I have seen sizzor jacks used to lower a castered sub-base. Then retracting the sub-base, the machine stand has the whole perimeter of its base on the floor.

I think I saw some plans that used small automotive industry bladders (don't know their intended use) employed to raise and lower the sub-base. I am thinking about just using a motorcycle inner tube and guides that keep the machine from wobbling when the wheeled sub-base is down with the inflation of the inner tube.

I have been playing with long shaft extensions to reach the threaded standard casters I usually use but this is not all that easy and it is time consuming even with an electric drill. Having the caster outboard solves this but introduces yet another thing to stub my toes on. Leveling wheeled casters are expensive but if I had started out with them acceptably expensive. As it is I have a bunch of high quality wheeled casters that I would like to keep using. It seems like using a compressor to expand a bladder to set the wheels down and raise the machine would be pretty efficient and quick.

Where have I seen this approach or should I contact a patent attorney with this Da Vinci like invention:)

Josiah Bartlett
01-22-2011, 1:38 AM
Sounds a lot like the built in jacks that are used by some race cars for pit crew work. The only disadvantage is the requirement that shop air be present to move your tools around.

Bruce Seidner
01-22-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll look into these. If there is a name for them or you could give me a pointer I would appreciate it. I have air in my shop but it would take very little to get an inch of lift, I think.

Dunno, my back up plan is to use straight line toggle clamps that I can press the wheeled base down with or rather raise the machine so it rests on the casters. I will figure a way to have these and the casters on the inside of the stand so when it is released the machine stand will be on the floor. I have seen this done with the casters on the outside but I would like the casters out of the way when the machine is down and in use.

Steve Kohn
01-25-2011, 1:16 PM
A little bit out there but check into hoverboards. You can make your own with plywood and some air fittings. They work on shop air to lift the machine so you can scoot it around. Remove the air and the hoverboard/tool settles onto the floor.

Rod Sheridan
01-25-2011, 1:21 PM
http://www.general.ca/pg_index/hoverpade.html

regards, Rod.

Chris Fournier
01-25-2011, 6:37 PM
It's pretty tough beat the versatility and value of a johnson bar when it comes to machine mobility. I've made them for clients who have ordered mobile outdoor bars. My 3000 lb plus MiniMax combo machine came with one which I used to move it into place in my shop. Easy to fabricate your own!

Bruce Seidner
01-28-2011, 9:42 PM
Gentlemen,

This is taking me into new and very exciting teretory. I was thinking of ways to raise and lower conventional wheeled casters. You are introducing hovercrafts into my shop. This is awesome. The floor of the shop is relatively smooth concrete. I love fabricating things that I would otherwise have to buy. I will start looking into Johnson Bars, thank you Chris, and Rod, I will sing a round of Oh Canada in the morning. This is inspirational.

Murray Roblin
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm late to this, but I use a standard caster and have a straight action toggle clamp mounted adjacent to the two swivel casters. When I want to stop and stabilize my machine, I just lower the clamps (and I can do it with my foot, so no bending) and the machine s Stanley.

I bought 2 de-sta-co 603's (?) from surpluscenter, and the bay often has great prices on these.