PDA

View Full Version : Recent bowls

philip labre
01-20-2011, 7:58 PM
I was getting frustrated with my progress in bowl turning (I'm impatient) so I turned a few peppermills for a break. Now I've resumed my journey into bowls. Still struggling with tool bounce sooo practice, practice, practice. Here's my latest: spalted maple 8.5x4, walnut oil and beeswax. I don't care for the lip at the rim but with the tall walls i felt it needed something. probably should have just burnt in a couple lines.
Spalted cherry burl 5x2, walnut oil beeswax. I think the base is a little wide on this one.
Birdseye maple 7.5x2.25 walnut oil and beeswax. I'm happy with this one except the crack on one side that I didn't think was so deep.
Yellow birch burl 8x3 AO buffed and Ren wax. It's hard to catch the chatoyancy with my point and shoot and minimum skills, but it's nice in person.
Advice is welcome. Picked up a new chain for my saw today so I guess it's time to break down some logs and try coreing again.

David E Keller
01-20-2011, 8:09 PM
I don't see signs of a struggle... Looks like a pretty successful batch of bowls to me. Great looking wood on each and every one. I agree with your assessment of the foot on the cherry burl piece, but I don't think it should be too much smaller. I'll definitely be looking forward to the next one.

Tim Thiebaut
01-20-2011, 8:25 PM
To me as a rank beginner to turning those look fantastic, your practise has paid off very well! I started my very first bowl last night...it ended with the worst catch I have ever had and a piece of wood shaped like a spear traveling towards my face...lol...it was exciting to say the least! Great job on these bowls, I hope I can do as well someday.

Baxter Smith
01-20-2011, 8:36 PM
Great looking bowls! Everyone of them!

Scott Hackler
01-20-2011, 8:44 PM
Very nice group of bowls. That cherry burl is awesome. Wish we had some of that growing around here.

Ron Stadler
01-20-2011, 8:46 PM
Wow, you really got hold of some good wood there, but the spalted cherry burl is just gorgeous, nice bowls.

charlie knighton
01-20-2011, 9:33 PM
very nice......

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2011, 9:36 PM
Really nice looking bowls. Really like the cherry burl.

John Keeton
01-21-2011, 5:58 AM
Philip, a nice looking grouping of bowls. Of the wood species, the cherry burl has that rustic attraction, but the spalted maple is some very nice wood, too. For form, I like the BE maple best - it is much closer to the "rules" for bowls - height=1/3 diameter. On the next batch, you may want to try establishing the base/foot at the very beginning of shaping your form, and make it 1/3 the diameter, as well, and see if you like the form.

The finish on this doesn't reflect any evidence of tool bounce - they all look very nice. I wonder - by chance are you hollowing the whole bowl with each cut vs. taking the inside down in steps, finishing the cut as you go? Sometimes that causes more wood movement, and that may be contributing to the bounce. Just a thought - hard to know without being there.

In any event, you have done an excellent job on these, with some excellent wood!

Bill Hensley
01-21-2011, 7:59 AM
What ever the problem was it isn't obvious in the results, all are nicely done. I especially like the yellow birch.

I've had similar problems with tool bounce and found the root cause was the grind of my bowl gouge. I settled on a 60 degree bevel, it works well for me.

steven carter
01-21-2011, 9:16 AM
Philip your are definitely getting the hang of it. Very nice set of bowls, I especially like the cherry burl. The side of the spalted maple reminds me of the maps that showed how the continents were supposedly all scrunched up together long ago. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Jim Burr
01-21-2011, 9:29 AM
Nice work on all of 'em Philip...all keepers...or cool gifts!!

Roland Martin
01-21-2011, 9:32 AM
Practice is most certainly paying off, Philip. The character in the spalted maple & cherry burl is absolutely great. I would say the BE maple bowl is the closest to the "rule", as John mentioned, but as far as quality turning and finishing, they are all fine looking bowls. Very well done and thanks for posting.

bob svoboda
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd say your efforts have been rewarded with some very nice bowls. You sure have some special wood specimens there!

Bill Edwards(2)
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
They're all great.

The first one made me think of a really classy popcorn bowl.:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2011, 2:35 PM
Very nice variety of bowls! Pretty woods but I really like the Birch! I've turned a lot of White Birch and that stuff can really play with the light! I can see those same highlights in this bowl - so know that it just radiates!

Nice work!