PDA

View Full Version : CNC Inlayed Walnut serving tray I recently finished

Marty Leach
01-20-2011, 7:30 PM
About 3 months ago I finished building my CNC Router table and have since had a great time doing inlays way better than I ever could before.

This serving tray which measures about 10" X 7" is made with a base wood of Walnut. The Cypress tree is made from Cocobolo (trunk) and figured Bubinga for the leaves. The sides and ends of the tray are angled out 9 degrees. There are supportive splines in each corner made from a sandwich of Maple and Padauk.

I made this at the request of the wife of a friend of mine for his Christmas present. She wanted to pay me to make it......Yeah right, like she wants to really pay me for the hours this took! I charged her $100 and wrote it off as a labor of love for a friend.

Wally Alexander
01-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Not to take away from the tree, because that looks great as well, but I really like the spline sandwich. Wally

Dave MacArthur
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
beautiful. Didn't think about it until the reply above, but yes, the spline looks quite nice there.

Don Bullock
01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Marty that's very impressive. The use of different woods for the tree is excellent.

Not to take away from the tree, because that looks great as well, but I really like the spline sandwich. Wally

Can you give is a better view of these. I hadn't thought of doing that. Great idea.

Bob Elliott
01-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Where did you get the plans for the CNC machine?

Trever Williams
01-22-2011, 1:47 AM
Looks good. What kind of CNC machine did you build?

Marty Leach
01-22-2011, 5:34 PM
Marty that's very impressive. The use of different woods for the tree is excellent.

Can you give is a better view of these. I hadn't thought of doing that. Great idea.

Actually, I don't have the tray anymore. I'll dig around and see if I have a picture that shows them better.

Marty Leach
01-22-2011, 5:43 PM
Looks good. What kind of CNC machine did you build?

I built a BlackToe 2X4 V 2.0 from buildyourcnc.com. here is the website
http://buildyourcnc.com/blackToe2x4v40.aspx

You can see my machine in action on a short youtube video. Go to youtube.com and search for thegarageguy1. That's me!

Marty Leach
01-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Here is the only other picture I have of the tray. The splines are a little more visible. The next time I do a try with Walnut, I'm going to use a darker wood, like Macassar Ebony sandwiching a reddish wood. Above are photos of the tray, sandwich and the jig I made to make the splines on my table saw in addition to the signature my CNC Router carves for my on everything I make.

brian c miller
01-26-2011, 8:50 AM
Looks awesome, The NC work looks great.

Does it still count as handcrafted if you uses a computer controlled router? hehe.

Marty Leach
01-27-2011, 5:37 PM
Hey now! The tray is handcrafted and the CNC work is surprisingly tedious, so I think it's probably OK to still say handcrafted.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-27-2011, 5:40 PM
Nice wife. Good friend. What a great combination as a result!

It's a gift that's very special, indeed.

Jeff :)

brian c miller
02-08-2011, 4:32 PM
The tray is awesome... I love the 3 colour miter splines. You did a great job.