PDA

View Full Version : Source for 1/16 thick mirror finish acrylic?

David Fairfield
01-20-2011, 6:57 PM
Need some real thin mirror plated acrylic, small quantity. Seems my usual supplier, Delvies, only lists in 1/8. Where else to look?

Thanks!
Dave

Joe Pelonio
01-20-2011, 9:47 PM
I have never seen it that thin, but you can apply mirror poly to 1/16 acrylic and it will work fine, cuts fine on the laser but the
mirror will be on top rather than under the clear. It is also available with the adhesive on the silver side if you want to make it more like mirror acrylic.

Kim Vellore
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Dave, I usually use mylar for thin mirrors. Kim

David Fairfield
01-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Poly I assume polycarbonate plastic? Looks like a possibility here. Know of a good supplier for a small quantity?

The mylar stuff I'm familiar with is thin and wrinkles easily, like party balloons are made from. Is it also made in more rigid sheets?

My application requires a thin, more or less optically flat, mirror surface.

Thanks again
Dave

Kim Vellore
01-21-2011, 5:37 PM
Dave,
I have seen 10mil mylar sheets, they are quite thick and make good mirrors, 7mils are also good for small mirrors without backing
http://www.nielsensenterprises.com/snomo/mylar.htm
Google for Mylar mirrors for more info

Kim

David Fairfield
01-21-2011, 6:44 PM
Thanks, Kim. Just ordered the little sample packet. Good, inexpensive solution if it works!

Dave

Joe Pelonio
01-21-2011, 9:07 PM
What I use is 2 mil adhesive backed mylar film, it doesn't wrinkle like the thin balloon mylar179199, and is sold at sign supplies by the roll or yard. It can also be cut on a plotter for lettering. It's like vinyl but made with Metalized Polyester (not polycarbonate)