PDA

View Full Version : Powerline Networking

Peter Stahl
01-20-2011, 3:21 AM
Anyone use Powerline Networking? I want to get a Slingbox but my Modem isn't in the same room the cable box the Slingbox will use is. Do they have to be on the same circuit breaker? Running a Ethernet cable is a possibility but would be a pain. Also any recommendations for a brand/model? Something else I thought of, anyone use their home phone wiring for networking? I think mine is cat5 even though they jumped from one outlet to the next instead of doing a home run. Are all 8 wires needed to Network computers via a modem? Never thought I would need this kind of stuff 12 years ago when the house was built. Thanks for any and all replies.

Dan Hintz
01-20-2011, 6:39 AM
Unless the system comes with a phase bridge, it will need to be on the same phase.

Curt Harms
01-20-2011, 6:55 AM
How widely is data disseminated on a powerline networking setup? To the transformer? I presume network traffic is encrypted in that case. This wouldn't be an issue in a rural setting where everyone has their own transformer. In a condo or townhouse community where one transformer services serveral homes it seems like that could be an issue. Powerline networking seems like an interesting alternative to WiFi where WiFi signal propogation is an issue, or for getting data services to outlying structures i.e. shops.

Lee Ludden
01-20-2011, 9:07 AM
I use the Netgear power line adapters to connect my TiVo with the network. It has worked like a charm for 3 years. I download many of the recorded movies off the TiVo using it. It is faster than wireless G but not as fast as ethernet.

Jerome Hanby
01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I was looking at a pair to replace the wireless connection to the PS3. the PS3 wireless networking is bad, but i always got good video performance using it wired. Since running a cable isn't an option, hoping the power line adapters will also work...

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-20-2011, 5:17 PM
If you have a coax cable in the room you can use a MoCA adapter. From literature and my own experience it is much faster transfer rate, don't need to worry about which phase your power outlet and minimum setup ( no setup at all just plugin and use).
Ed.

Bryan Morgan
01-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Yep. It works ok. Just make sure both ends are part of the same electrical panel.