PDA

View Full Version : Folding a bandsaw blade take 1

Eiji Fuller
01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Its hard to explain so I just took a quick video.

Its a trimaster 166" long and it was the first and only take. may reshoot this weekend.

When I say this is the one you step on I ment the middle loop. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ga8Ny2PebI

Van Huskey
01-20-2011, 1:02 AM
Bravo. I have a couple of 1 1/2" very deep gulleted carbon blades that look like they are going to eat me every time I fold them or even worse unfold them! For short blades 120" or less I have a really quick technique that just flips them in and out in a second or so, by muscle memory, and stupidity, I did it with a 141" blade and I had a really neat pattern across my forehead for about a week...

Dewayne Reding
01-20-2011, 6:59 AM
I have a couple large blades down in the basement. I was just waiting for the premier of "Dances with Bandsaw Blades". :) Thanks Eiji.

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2011, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the video Eiji, well done.

My only comment is that gloves and safety glasses would be an appropriate addition...........Regards, Rod.

Eiji Fuller
01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
LoL, it did look like an awkward dance and with Toby running around made it even more special. :D

David Thompson 27577
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
For a while a few years ago, I worked in the "saw-shop" at a local sawmill. I was not responsible for the bandsaw blades, but I remember watching those guys and being amazed.

The sawmill had a number of bandsaw mills, the smallest was a 7-foot mill (each wheel was 7-feet in diameter). New blades were about 8" wide. The sawshop had equipment that was specially designed to handle the blades while they were being flattened, sharpened, and re-set.

But then it was up to the guys who worked there to "package" the blades so that they could be moved to the saw. Believe it or not, it was probably one of the least-safe aspects of their job.

Of course those big blades don't get twist-wrapped. Instead, they get sort-of folded over themselves a few times (takes at least two guys to do this), and the folds are captured with huge twist-ties made from 10-guage romex wire.